Promotional Exam - transfer

All general discussion related to law-enforcement topics
Njleocop
Rookie

Promotional Exam - transfer

Post by Njleocop » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:45 am

My question regards eligibility for promotional exams after transferring police departments. I have been given ambiguous responses from the CSC.

Recently I left my previous civil service department for a new civil service department. I did not do a intergovernmental transfer. I have a total of 3.5 years of experience.

When the CSC is calculating eligibility for the promotional sergeants exam, do they consider time spent in the previous department which would be from the date you received a PTC number or from the date you were hired in your current department?

I’m sure that there are guys that have been in similar situations and if anyone could provide some feedback, it would be much appreciated.

CCSTestPrep

Re: Promotional Exam - transfer

Post by CCSTestPrep » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:22 pm

I can only reference one example from my department. I brought over an officer with four years of full-time employment with a civil service department before he came on the IGT program. He was on for nearly two years when he applied for the sergeants exam with my department and he was denied by civil service. He appealed. It took forever for the matter to be decided, but last year he was advised he was denied. Civil service was not willing to accept his contention that he had 3-years of continuous service as a police officer under civil service before applying for the exam.

Early on in the process, I gave him a letter in support of his effort, but civil service called the town business administrator and she took the position that the town did not want him to be eligible. I don't know if that affected anything or not in the long run.
Dr. David A. Paprota, Ed.D.
Chief of Police (Ret.)
CCS Test Prep®
www.ccstest.com