GI Bill - OTJ and Apprenticeship Benefits

Discussions between Police Officers
NJAspire
Rookie

Post by NJAspire » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:57 am

Has anyone successfully filed for On the Job Training benefits with the VA for the GI Bill. My department is a very small department and they haven't had a vet file for this benefit before so I've been calling the VA and trying to apply for it myself. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

CCSTestPrep

Post by CCSTestPrep » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:31 am

NJAspire wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:57 am
Has anyone successfully filed for On the Job Training benefits with the VA for the GI Bill. My department is a very small department and they haven't had a vet file for this benefit before so I've been calling the VA and trying to apply for it myself. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
On-The-Job Training and Apprenticeship Program

I was the Veteran's Affairs Liaison for my department for 18 years and dealt with the On-The-Job and Apprenticeship Program benefits. Veterans affairs should, based on your inquiry, reach out to the department to establish a "liaison" with whom they meet and go over the program. They'll also send out the same representative to meet with you at work and go over the paperwork requirements.

It is a very simple process, once the Veteran's Affairs and your department link up. You will simply fill out (on a standardized form) your work hours and get the department liaison to sign it (each month for instance). You submit the form and get the money. It is called an "Apprenticeship" program and carried on for as long as 30 months, but the timeline may differ from one person to the next.

Your best bet is to get a department representative on board to help (e.g. sergeant or lieutenant). They do not need to do much. They will simply need to briefly meet with the program representative, make a file, sign the forms, and maintain a file for future reference. In my department, back in 2003, it was a Veteran's Affairs representative who reached out to me asking to meet. She inquired as to whether we had any veterans. The VA representative handles all of the paperwork with the individual veteran(s). The only problem I had was (believe it or not) having the call in a couple of the guys on a few occasions through the years because they were not completing their work logs to submit to get their money.

For those who are not aware, under the veteran's benefits, there is a job program in which a newly hired police officer who is a veteran can receive money under their earned benefits. I know from personal experience with each veteran that I hired, they were not aware of the program. It is linked to "job training" but that should not confuse anyone. It is simply a benefit for transitioning to a civilian career from the military, so performing the job as a permanent, full-time police officer is considered an apprenticeship (job training). For more information: https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/onth ... ceship.asp
Also: https://www.state.nj.us/military/saa/pu ... e-2010.pdf

Good luck!
Dr. David A. Paprota, Ed.D.
Chief of Police (Ret.)
CCS Test Prep®
www.ccstest.com

Thad
Rookie

Re: GI Bill - OTJ and Apprenticeship Benefits

Post by Thad » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:43 pm

CCSTestPrep wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:31 am
NJAspire wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:57 am
On-The-Job Training and Apprenticeship Program

I was the Veteran's Affairs Liaison for my department for 18 years and dealt with the On-The-Job and Apprenticeship Program benefits. Veterans affairs should, based on your inquiry, reach out to the department to establish a "liaison" with whom they meet and go over the program. They'll also send out the same representative to meet with you at work and go over the paperwork requirements.

It is a very simple process, once the Veteran's Affairs and your department link up. You will simply fill out (on a standardized form) your work hours and get the department liaison to sign it (each month for instance). You submit the form and get the money. It is called an "Apprenticeship" program and carried on for as long as 30 months, but the timeline may differ from one person to the next.

Your best bet is to get a department representative on board to help (e.g. sergeant or lieutenant). They do not need to do much. They will simply need to briefly meet with the program representative, make a file, sign the forms, and maintain a file for future reference. In my department, back in 2003, it was a Veteran's Affairs representative who reached out to me asking to meet. She inquired as to whether we had any veterans. The VA representative handles all of the paperwork with the individual veteran(s). The only problem I had was (believe it or not) having the call in a couple of the guys on a few occasions through the years because they were not completing their work logs to submit to get their money.

For those who are not aware, under the veteran's benefits, there is a job program in which a newly hired police officer who is a veteran can receive money under their earned benefits. I know from personal experience with each veteran that I hired, they were not aware of the program. It is linked to "job training" but that should not confuse anyone. It is simply a benefit for transitioning to a civilian career from the military, so performing the job as a permanent, full-time police officer is considered an apprenticeship (job training). For more information: https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/onth ... ceship.asp
Also: https://www.state.nj.us/military/saa/pu ... e-2010.pdf

Good luck!
Does this include doing the academy as well for a department? ie getting back pay etc

CCSTestPrep

Re: GI Bill - OTJ and Apprenticeship Benefits

Post by CCSTestPrep » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:22 pm

Does this include doing the academy as well for a department? ie getting back pay etc
It definitely covers academy time, but I don't know whether they do any of it retroactively. It wouldn't seem necessary, as a qualifying military vet can collect moving forward while on the job until the benefit runs out. I only dealt with permanent, full-time officers under the program, so they simply collected until the benefit ran out.
I have spoken to Alternate Route Program candidates who worked through the VA rep and the police academy to collect while in the academy. The VA rep actually came to the academy and met with the veterans to assist them with the program.
Dr. David A. Paprota, Ed.D.
Chief of Police (Ret.)
CCS Test Prep®
www.ccstest.com