Advice

Discussions between Corrections Officers
Bluflag12
Walking Post

Advice

Post by Bluflag12 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:42 pm

Just looking for any advice on being a state correction officer. What’s the job like ? How are the inmates when they see a rookie CO ? Are you working by your self most of the time ? Etc...

BlueLine
Walking Post

Re: Advice

Post by BlueLine » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:54 pm

Bluflag12 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:42 pm
Just looking for any advice on being a state correction officer. What’s the job like ? How are the inmates when they see a rookie CO ? Are you working by your self most of the time ? Etc...
Some will jail off you because you don't know any better as a rookie, some like the old heads or tier reps will help you out. It's all about how you carry yourself and talk to people. You may have one other officer on your unit but you will have to make a lot of decisions on your own. If you want more detailed answers shoot me a PM.

Giants12
Walking Post

Post by Giants12 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:35 pm

Don’t do it! Not worth going the academy unless it’s only option right now. I left after 4 and half years. Anyway what has always worked for me was talking to them like regular people. Yelling and being super authoritative will only give you headaches. Talk to them the way you wanna be talked to you and you should be fine. I never really had too many issues.

Bluflag12
Walking Post

Post by Bluflag12 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:33 pm

Giants12 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:35 pm
Don’t do it! Not worth going the academy unless it’s only option right now. I left after 4 and half years. Anyway what has always worked for me was talking to them like regular people. Yelling and being super authoritative will only give you headaches. Talk to them the way you wanna be talked to you and you should be fine. I never really had too many issues.
Mind if I ask what makes you say not to do it ? I turned my cert down 3 years ago but right now it’s my only option if I’m to get certified from the recent test

Giants12
Walking Post

Post by Giants12 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:23 pm

I don’t know if you have a career but being a CO is a depressing job. When I started I had to drive to Trenton from Union county 5 days a week. My days off were Monday and Tuesday and during my 4 years I never received a raise since we didn’t have a contract. I’m saying you will be a lot happier at your current career. But if you don’t have a career yet I would say it’s easy work, and has a pension. I never want to lead someone in the wrong direction but NJDOC is a terrible department.

rwalk27
Walking Post

Post by rwalk27 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:00 pm

giant12 wat dept u with now?