Cape May County Alternate Route

Information regarding the Alternate Route Program in New Jersey
CCSTestPrep
Moderator
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:14 pm
Location: Lacey Township

Cape May County Alternate Route

Post by CCSTestPrep » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:58 pm

The Cape May County Police Academy is currently accepting applications for the 2018 Alternate Route Basic Course for Police Officer.

Candidates interested in formal exam preparation should contact CCS Test Prep® through the following link: http://www.ccstest.com/cape-may-county- ... test-prep/.

The application for the actual examination can be accessed at the following link: https://www.policeapp.com/Entry-Level-C ... -Jobs/899/

Registration is currently open and will close on Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. The process begins with the pass/fail standard physical assessment as detailed below. Applicants will be assigned either a Saturday, May 12th or Saturday, May 19th, 2018, date to appear for the physical assessment. Only those who PASS by meeting the minimum standards in each category on the physical assessment will be permitted to sit for the written exam on Saturday, June 9th, 2019.

The Cape May County Alternate Route Program is one of the most sought after, as it is a residential academy; therefore, housing is not an issue for candidates who live elsewhere in the state. It is also one of the most affordable programs with costs estimated at $3,500 to participate.

The Cape May County Police Academy has released the following information:


Alternate Route Program
The Cape May County Chiefs of Police Association and the Cape May County Police Academy sponsors the Alternate Route Training Program for police candidates. This program enables individuals to enroll in the Basic Course for Police Officers without first being hired by a police agency. Our residential based academy allows Alternate Route Candidates to live and train right alongside regular police recruits.

Graduates of this program will qualify for New Jersey Police Training Commission Certification making them more marketable to police agencies. A large percentage of our graduates are hired by police agencies within one year of their graduation from this program. Some are hired while still in the academy.

What is the Alternate Route Program?
The Alternate Route Training Program allows a civilian to enter the police academy without first being hired by a police agency. The Alternate Route Candidate trains alongside the regular police recruit and is treated as their equal during training. The Alternate Route Candidate is responsible for all costs associated with their training, presently about $3,500.00. Although this might seem like a large sum, the program includes meals and lodging, issued laptop computer and a computer lab for use by the recruits including any required training materials.

The program is twenty-two weeks in length and requires the recruit to reside Monday through Friday at the Training Facility. Course of study includes History of Law Enforcement, The Criminal Justice System, Stress, Ethics, Community Policing, Criminal Law, Arrest, Search and Seizure, Use of Force, Communications, Vehicle Operations, Emergency Medical Care, Firearms, Defensive Tactics, Chemical Agents, Patrol Concepts, Traffic Enforcement, Criminal Investigation, and Physical Fitness.

Additionally the recruit receives certification in CPR and AED. The program also includes boxing, simunition training (live fire) and survival shooting.

Program Requirements
Candidates for the Alternate Route Program must be:

1. A Citizen of the United States who is 18 years of age or older;

2. Is sound in body and of good health sufficient to satisfy the Board of Trustees of the Police and Firemen's Retirement system of N.J. as to eligibility for membership in the retirement system;

3. Able to read, write and speak the English language well and intelligently;

4. Is of good moral character and has not been convicted of any criminal offense involving moral turpitude;

5. Minimum of 60 academic credits or individuals who have served in the military and have not earned 60 credits, but can substitute two years of full-time, active duty military service, or combination of college credits and full-time active duty military service to satisfy the education requirements. ALL EDUCATIONAL AND OR MILITARY REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET BY JUNE 2018; and

6. Pass a rigorous selection process, including a written examination, a physical fitness test, oral interview, psychological evaluation, medical exam, and a full background check prior to attending.

Testing/Rules
Applicants must present photo ID at each phase of testing. There are multiple phases of testing as listed below.

Physical Fitness Test - Testing will begin promptly of the time provided, no one will be admitted after that time on test day. Application fees will not be refunded to anyone arriving late. Candidates must pass all five Physical Fitness tests in order to continue on to the written test.

This test will be pass/fail consisting of the following five events with the following minimum standards:

1.5 mile run must be completed at or before 15 minutes and 55 seconds
300 meter run must be completed within 70.1 seconds
Vertical jump of at least 15 inches
At least 24 proper push-up repetitions in 1 minute
At least 28 proper sit-up repetitions in 1 minute
Written Test - This examination consists of 60% of the overall score.

Oral interview - Interviews will be conducted by a panel of Law Enforcement Professions and will consist of 40% of the final score.

Background investigation - Investigations will be conducted due to the limited number of Alternate Route Recruits allowed in a class. Those who have a questionable background in regards to prior arrests, improper conduct or serious/excessive motor vehicle violations will not be considered for enrollment.

Additional Testing - A psychological assessment will be scheduled upon successfully passing the above requirements. The applicant will be responsible for payment for the psychological assessment on the date scheduled to the testing facility. A medical examination also must be conducted prior to entrance to the Police Academy.

Registration for the actual competitive police academy process began March 15, 2018, and will continue through May 8, 2018.
Dr. David A. Paprota, Ed.D.
Chief of Police (Ret.)
CCS Test Prep®
www.ccstest.com

Jdlc4252
Walking Post
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:14 am

Re: Cape May County Alternate Route 2018

Post by Jdlc4252 » Sat May 12, 2018 1:18 pm

Took the PAT today and passed. Confident about the written exam coming up as it’s not my first go around taking a Chief’s test.

Anyone else putting themselves through the process for Cape May Alternate Route?

RJJersey
Radio Car
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:21 am

Re: Cape May County Alternate Route 2018

Post by RJJersey » Sun May 13, 2018 5:25 pm

Jdlc4252 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 1:18 pm
Took the PAT today and passed. Confident about the written exam coming up as it’s not my first go around taking a Chief’s test.

Anyone else putting themselves through the process for Cape May Alternate Route?

yup i was there yesterday as well.. not a big fan on how they didn't write down the actual number you did for each event because normally that is what distinguishes you from another applicant, especially if there will be a limited number of spots. Hopefully they do it the same way for the next group taking the PAT this Saturday.

Jdlc4252
Walking Post
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:14 am

Re: Cape May County Alternate Route 2018

Post by Jdlc4252 » Sun May 13, 2018 9:30 pm

RJJersey wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 5:25 pm
Jdlc4252 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 1:18 pm
Took the PAT today and passed. Confident about the written exam coming up as it’s not my first go around taking a Chief’s test.

Anyone else putting themselves through the process for Cape May Alternate Route?

yup i was there yesterday as well.. not a big fan on how they didn't write down the actual number you did for each event because normally that is what distinguishes you from another applicant, especially if there will be a limited number of spots. Hopefully they do it the same way for the next group taking the PAT this Saturday.
Yeah I don’t know why they didn’t. They tried to make it seem that it would matter.

I was surprised to see how many people failed the pushups. Also seeing the other candidates... you could tell that some were more serious than others (even among the ones who passed).

Were you the guy who smoked everyone in the 1.5 mile run?

Wicked
Walking Post
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:06 pm

Re: Cape May County Alternate Route 2018

Post by Wicked » Mon May 14, 2018 8:34 am

What do you mean write down the number you did. Its pass or fail doesn't matter how many you can do

RJJersey
Radio Car
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:21 am

Re: Cape May County Alternate Route 2018

Post by RJJersey » Mon May 14, 2018 3:48 pm

Wicked wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:34 am
What do you mean write down the number you did. Its pass or fail doesn't matter how many you can do
If there is 200 of you, and everyone does the 24 push-ups in 1 minute.. then there isn't anything to distinguish you with another applicant when it comes down to seeing who is moving on to the interview. If both people got at least the minimum but one did more then the other, its an easier decision for them to see who is moving on.

A good Rule of thumb, never do the minimum when it comes to Alternate Route fitness exams, its too competitive.

RJJersey
Radio Car
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:21 am

Re: Cape May County Alternate Route 2018

Post by RJJersey » Mon May 14, 2018 3:50 pm

Jdlc4252 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 9:30 pm
RJJersey wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 5:25 pm
Jdlc4252 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 1:18 pm
Took the PAT today and passed. Confident about the written exam coming up as it’s not my first go around taking a Chief’s test.

Anyone else putting themselves through the process for Cape May Alternate Route?

yup i was there yesterday as well.. not a big fan on how they didn't write down the actual number you did for each event because normally that is what distinguishes you from another applicant, especially if there will be a limited number of spots. Hopefully they do it the same way for the next group taking the PAT this Saturday.
Yeah I don’t know why they didn’t. They tried to make it seem that it would matter.

I was surprised to see how many people failed the pushups. Also seeing the other candidates... you could tell that some were more serious than others (even among the ones who passed).

Were you the guy who smoked everyone in the 1.5 mile run?

haha no, once I heard they weren't marking the exact times, I took my sweet time with that run but still got 12 minutes.. the 1.5 mile run in under 15.55, is a joke.

Jdlc4252
Walking Post
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:14 am

Re: Cape May County Alternate Route 2018

Post by Jdlc4252 » Mon May 14, 2018 6:01 pm

The 300 meter sprint took out a lot from me. I killed it with sprints (former high school running back) but it tired me out. I finished right after u for the 1.5 mile run at about 12.5 minutes; obviously at full stamina can do wayyyy better than that.

I’m guessing you also made the trip down from north jersey ?

RJJersey
Radio Car
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:21 am

Re: Cape May County Alternate Route 2018

Post by RJJersey » Mon May 14, 2018 6:32 pm

Jdlc4252 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:01 pm
The 300 meter sprint took out a lot from me. I killed it with sprints (former high school running back) but it tired me out. I finished right after u for the 1.5 mile run at about 12.5 minutes; obviously at full stamina can do wayyyy better than that.

I’m guessing you also made the trip down from north jersey ?
haha yup from Essex County

Jdlc4252
Walking Post
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:14 am

Re: Cape May County Alternate Route 2018

Post by Jdlc4252 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:34 am

Word I’m from Passaic County and there were several people there from Central and North Jersey. I was chatting with these two dudes (whom I could tell were serious candidates) from Middlesex County and they were also deep in the process for Camden County Alternate Route. Another serious candidate was about to be hired by NJSP.

We’ll have our chances to be at the top of the list. I’m more worried about the Oral Interviews as I have less experience with them (I’ve done this twice, first time bombed it, second time did better but it nevertheless didn’t get me hired). But I’m also confident because there will be other people who have never done Oral Interviews.

Post Reply