Essex county deputy sheriff

Any special law enforcement officer jobs post here.
gmen0587

Essex county deputy sheriff

Post by gmen0587 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:29 pm

Anyone know of any classes coming up?

Wicked
Walking Post

Re: Essex county deputy sheriff

Post by Wicked » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:07 am

Not yet. I'm looking into trying to get this since it's part time academy and night classes for the Class 2 so it works great with my day job. It's a 5 month academy since it's part time so maybe they only have 1 class per year? I think last year's started around May. Let me know if ya hear anything :D

gmen0587

Post by gmen0587 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:50 am

Thanks for the response. I think it’s 2 per years cause it’s only 5 months but not sure. In the past I remember it happening twice but I could be wrong. Yea I’m looking to do the same hopefully we know something soon.

NLamendola1995
Walking Post

Post by NLamendola1995 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:56 am

Wicked wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:07 am
Not yet. I'm looking into trying to get this since it's part time academy and night classes for the Class 2 so it works great with my day job. It's a 5 month academy since it's part time so maybe they only have 1 class per year? I think last year's started around May. Let me know if ya hear anything :D
Be careful trying to work a day job. It’s doable but you will be absolutely drained on the days you work and go to the academy. We have a few people in my class II acsdemy that work then go to the academy and I don’t know how they do it. As I said it’s doable but if you can work a considerably less amount of hours I would do that. Best of luck

Wicked
Walking Post

Post by Wicked » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:06 pm

Thanks for the input! I'm sure it would definitely be draining but I have no other choice. I don't understand how most people trying to go into law enforcement don't work 40 hours a week and just train to try and get into an academy or a chiefs town etc. Wish I was in a position to do that but I'm just not. Off topic but, do years in the public pension transfer to the police pension? I'm at a public government job and the money and security just isn't something I can give up which is why I'd have to try and work and do the academy same time. At least if my public years transfer I'm still working in the right direction. Thanks.

hoosier91

Post by hoosier91 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:09 am

There is a class going into the academy very soon. I doubt there will be an orientation for a new class for at least 3 to 4 months. It could be sooner though, you never know! Good luck.

Raven
Administrator
Assignment: Patrol

Post by Raven » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:49 pm

Wicked wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:06 pm
Thanks for the input! I'm sure it would definitely be draining but I have no other choice. I don't understand how most people trying to go into law enforcement don't work 40 hours a week and just train to try and get into an academy or a chiefs town etc. Wish I was in a position to do that but I'm just not. Off topic but, do years in the public pension transfer to the police pension? I'm at a public government job and the money and security just isn't something I can give up which is why I'd have to try and work and do the academy same time. At least if my public years transfer I'm still working in the right direction. Thanks.
I went through the academy as a full time recruit with a paycheck (sponsored by an agency) and I knew guys working on the weekends. I would hit the gym on the weekends but I couldn't imagine working another job while in the full time academy, it was enough to handle as it is.

From what I remember the part time class is 2 nights a week and Saturday's all day, and I believe it runs 26-28 weeks. It's intense just like the full time class. Power to you if you can manage to work full time and part time academy, guys and girls have done it before. I don't know how much time off you've accumulated at your job now but I'd try to spread some of it out if you're going to do that option and give yourself some extra days off as needed. The academy, even part time, can be very mentally stressing and draining.

And if you're asking if PERS time goes to PFRS time, I do believe it does I've heard stories of it being transferred but don't quote me on it. Best bet is to make some phone calls to Trenton and find out for sure.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthew 5:9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.”

Owner of NJOfficer.com

Wicked
Walking Post

Post by Wicked » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:39 pm

Raven wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:49 pm
Wicked wrote:
I went through the academy as a full time recruit with a paycheck (sponsored by an agency) and I knew guys working on the weekends. I would hit the gym on the weekends but I couldn't imagine working another job while in the full time academy, it was enough to handle as it is.

From what I remember the part time class is 2 nights a week and Saturday's all day, and I believe it runs 26-28 weeks. It's intense just like the full time class. Power to you if you can manage to work full time and part time academy, guys and girls have done it before. I don't know how much time off you've accumulated at your job now but I'd try to spread some of it out if you're going to do that option and give yourself some extra days off as needed. The academy, even part time, can be very mentally stressing and draining.

And if you're asking if PERS time goes to PFRS time, I do believe it does I've heard stories of it being transferred but don't quote me on it. Best bet is to make some phone calls to Trenton and find out for sure.
Thanks for the advice Raven! That's exactly what my plan is. I carried some time over from last year and i'm not touching any of my time this year until I find out if I get into this class 2 academy. Between all the vacation and sick time i should be fine. Just hoping to get in! Has anyone here gone through this process with the Essex County Sheriff's Office? Wondering how difficult it is to get selected by them for this opportunity. Thanks.

Raven
Administrator
Assignment: Patrol

Post by Raven » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:49 pm

Wicked wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:39 pm
Raven wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:49 pm
Wicked wrote:

Thanks for the advice Raven! That's exactly what my plan is. I carried some time over from last year and i'm not touching any of my time this year until I find out if I get into this class 2 academy. Between all the vacation and sick time i should be fine. Just hoping to get in! Has anyone here gone through this process with the Essex County Sheriff's Office? Wondering how difficult it is to get selected by them for this opportunity. Thanks.
No problem brother best of luck. I have a buddy who is there now as a deputy I'll ask him maybe I can get some insight.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthew 5:9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.”

Owner of NJOfficer.com

Wicked
Walking Post

Post by Wicked » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:10 pm

Much Appreciated! These forums are an awesome source of knowledge and how the process works!