Essex county deputy sheriff

Any special law enforcement officer jobs post here.
hoosier91

Re: Essex county deputy sheriff

Post by hoosier91 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:48 pm

Wicked wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:39 pm
Raven wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:49 pm
Wicked wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:06 pm
Thanks for the input! I'm sure it would definitely be draining but I have no other choice. I don't understand how most people trying to go into law enforcement don't work 40 hours a week and just train to try and get into an academy or a chiefs town etc. Wish I was in a position to do that but I'm just not. Off topic but, do years in the public pension transfer to the police pension? I'm at a public government job and the money and security just isn't something I can give up which is why I'd have to try and work and do the academy same time. At least if my public years transfer I'm still working in the right direction. Thanks.
I went through the academy as a full time recruit with a paycheck (sponsored by an agency) and I knew guys working on the weekends. I would hit the gym on the weekends but I couldn't imagine working another job while in the full time academy, it was enough to handle as it is.

From what I remember the part time class is 2 nights a week and Saturday's all day, and I believe it runs 26-28 weeks. It's intense just like the full time class. Power to you if you can manage to work full time and part time academy, guys and girls have done it before. I don't know how much time off you've accumulated at your job now but I'd try to spread some of it out if you're going to do that option and give yourself some extra days off as needed. The academy, even part time, can be very mentally stressing and draining.

And if you're asking if PERS time goes to PFRS time, I do believe it does I've heard stories of it being transferred but don't quote me on it. Best bet is to make some phone calls to Trenton and find out for sure.
Thanks for the advice Raven! That's exactly what my plan is. I carried some time over from last year and i'm not touching any of my time this year until I find out if I get into this class 2 academy. Between all the vacation and sick time i should be fine. Just hoping to get in! Has anyone here gone through this process with the Essex County Sheriff's Office? Wondering how difficult it is to get selected by them for this opportunity. Thanks.
It's a pretty standard process. You'll have to be present for the orientation meetings leading up to the pt test, fingerprinting, and interview. From what I can remember it was two orientation meetings, and in the second you'll receive a background packet to be returned at a later date. Then from there you'll have to complete the pt test, fingerprinting, pass the background, interview, and the psych. If you don't make it the first time don't get discouraged, It took me a second time around to get in. Hope this helps, good luck.

Wicked
Walking Post

Post by Wicked » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:06 am

All of this helps. Thank you very much! Just wondering how competitive it is. Is it like a chiefs town where 300 people go out for 1 or 2 spots or is it more like since we are paying our own way and working for free they take you as long as you pass everything?

hoosier91

Post by hoosier91 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:01 pm

It's not as big of a turnout like a chief's test but it's not a walk in the park either. Don't go in worrying about things you can't control. Focus on yourself, put your best foot forward every step and you'll do fine.

Mr90
Rookie

Post by Mr90 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:08 pm

Hey everyone, hopefully I can shed some light on the program. Back in September they held their first two orientations preparing for a winter academy. Due to delays with the academy the process was sped up and we were given emails end of November. I am assuming that by now that class has started. I was told from the deputy director that come May they should be preparing for another one. The best way to find out would be to email Linda Knoll. lknoll@essexsheriff.com again more than likely preparations will begin in May for the start of a summer class. I hope this helps.

aceshigh1300
Walking Post

Post by aceshigh1300 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:29 pm

I remember years ago they use to get a lot of applicants. If things haven't change expect it to be fairly competitive. That being said my experience has shown that a lot of people apply who won't pass some aspect of the process. So start running, pting, make sure your background is squared away and you should be fine.

Avaric3
Radio Car

Post by Avaric3 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:38 am

My question is- Why do the Essex county deputy sheriff program instead of an alternate route program? Makes no sense to pay all that money to only have a SLEO II cert when you can spend about the same and have a full cert.

nyy95
Rookie

Post by nyy95 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:21 pm

Avaric3 wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:38 am
My question is- Why do the Essex county deputy sheriff program instead of an alternate route program? Makes no sense to pay all that money to only have a SLEO II cert when you can spend about the same and have a full cert.
Obviously it would be ideal to have the alternate route cert as opposed to the SLEO II cert you get through the deputy sheriff program, but beggars can't be choosers. If there is anything the job hunting process has taught me it's not to throw all your eggs in one basket. Apply anywhere and everywhere and take all the tests. So, if you get in the deputy sheriff program, you're not going to deny that chance in hopes of getting a spot in an alternate route class.

Alternate route processes are extremely competitive and much more difficult to get a spot in compared to the Essex County Deputy Sheriff program, in my opinion. So, for many that might be struggling with the written tests, the deputy sheriff program is a solid alternative as there is no written test component.

aceshigh1300
Walking Post

Post by aceshigh1300 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:39 pm

Yeah you can go alternate route, but typically there are maybe 1 or 2 spots. Seems there haven't been many issues with getting waivered so you have that.

Avaric3
Radio Car

Post by Avaric3 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:13 am

aceshigh1300 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:39 pm
Yeah you can go alternate route, but typically there are maybe 1 or 2 spots. Seems there haven't been many issues with getting waivered so you have that.
Getting waived isn’t as easy as you would think. A lot of places want full certs or you gotta have some connection to the department to get in. Your best bet is civil service if you don’t have connections

RJJersey
Radio Car

Post by RJJersey » Mon May 07, 2018 10:04 am

gmen0587 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:29 pm
Anyone know of any classes coming up?
They had their Orientation this past Saturday for their next academy class which is scheduled for September

Did you end up going?