Essex County Residency

All general discussion related to law-enforcement topics
CChaveco
Rookie

Essex County Residency

Post by CChaveco » Sun May 10, 2020 9:18 pm

Hello,
I just received my score for the NJ LEE. Currently living in Belleville, and I’m looking to move out of my apartment. I’m getting so much mixed news on residency codes and requirements- can anyone possibly clear that up a bit? I’m under Belleville Twp Essex county.. do I need to stay in Belleville? Any information or updated links would be very much appreciated 👌

BillUSA7
Rookie

Re: Essex County Residency

Post by BillUSA7 » Sun May 10, 2020 9:32 pm

CChaveco wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:18 pm
Hello,
I just received my score for the NJ LEE. Currently living in Belleville, and I’m looking to move out of my apartment. I’m getting so much mixed news on residency codes and requirements- can anyone possibly clear that up a bit? I’m under Belleville Twp Essex county.. do I need to stay in Belleville? Any information or updated links would be very much appreciated 👌
To my knowledge, if you move after you have taken the test, you'll be voided from the town you move from and the town you move to, I could very well be wrong though. I think the actual website can clear up any confusion. best of luck!

Theblue
Rookie

Post by Theblue » Sun May 10, 2020 9:48 pm

When you got your test card with the date of your test it explained residency and if your address will change before test scores are out. I’m pretty sure you only had to have that residency during the time of testing and can move without any consequences.
BillUSA7 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:32 pm
CChaveco wrote:
Hello,
To my knowledge, if you move after you have taken the test, you'll be voided from the town you move from and the town you move to, I could very well be wrong though. I think the actual website can clear up any confusion. best of luck!

CChaveco
Rookie

Post by CChaveco » Sun May 10, 2020 10:03 pm

Hey thanks for the feedback! The card says I can change my residency, but my residency code will remain the same. Two different responses- can you see the confusion? Hahah I’ve been told the same thing BillUSA had said, but was also told that Essex county has open residency throughout the county except for Newark.. I just can’t find anything confirming that..

Theblue wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:48 pm
When you got your test card with the date of your test it explained residency and if your address will change before test scores are out. I’m pretty sure you only had to have that residency during the time of testing and can move without any consequences.
BillUSA7 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:32 pm
CChaveco wrote:
Hello,

MerpNJ555
Walking Post

Post by MerpNJ555 » Sun May 10, 2020 11:23 pm

If Belleville is civil service and has a township residency requirement you'll lose eligibility for them. Whatever town you move to you'll also be ineligible unless they pull from a county/state wide list. I'd advise against moving around a bunch after taking the test. If you move within Essex county you'll likely only have a chance with the sheriffs department and Newark if/when they pull from the county wide list.

rabbi
Rookie

Post by rabbi » Mon May 11, 2020 12:40 am

MerpNJ555 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:23 pm
If Belleville is civil service and has a township residency requirement you'll lose eligibility for them. Whatever town you move to you'll also be ineligible unless they pull from a county/state wide list. I'd advise against moving around a bunch after taking the test. If you move within Essex county you'll likely only have a chance with the sheriffs department and Newark if/when they pull from the county wide list.
You’re absolutely right. A friend of mine took the test test with Irvington as residency in Essex county. He moved to Newark even before the results were released. Irvington took his name out from their pool when they found out he’s no more a resident of Irvington. 1 year later, Newark (Same county) sent him a cert. If you change your address after the test, you’ll definitely lose your eligibility in that town but will remain the in county pool. If any City run out of their eligible list, they’ll go to the county . My advice is try not to move at least till you start the academy.

Avaric3
Radio Car

Post by Avaric3 » Mon May 11, 2020 8:55 am

Don’t move out of town until after you’ve been hired by Belleville. You can move within the town and that’s fine, but move out and you’ll lose your shot there. You also won’t be eligible in the town you move to because you didn’t reside there when you registered for the exam. It would only leave you open for county (if moved within same county), and state gigs.

Kevstar25
Rookie
Assignment: Patrol

Post by Kevstar25 » Wed May 13, 2020 10:48 am

CChaveco wrote:
Hello,
If you want to be hired by Belleville, you have to stay there until they hire you. When you get into the process, they’re going to do a home visit as part of the background check to make sure you live there still as it is a requirement of any civil service agency that you have residency in their borough. Hope this helps!