Hiring Process from step 0

All general discussion related to law-enforcement topics
LeBronLL
Rookie

Hiring Process from step 0

Post by LeBronLL » Tue May 19, 2020 1:56 am

I am currently active duty military, and retiring in about 20 months. I am almost finished obtaining my Bachelor's in Criminal Justice and interested in a career in local law enforcement. I don't have any clue where or when to begin the hiring process, any advice would be greatly appreciated. As of now, all I know is that I would first need to take the LEE, but unsure when these tests are even available.

cop91
Radio Car

Re: Hiring Process from step 0

Post by cop91 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:20 am

The last LEE exam took place last winter (2019). You will have to wait another 3 more years until you can take this exam again.

With that being said, you could apply to a "Chiefs" town where you would simply just turn in your resume / application. A good place to start would be down the shores for the summer. Good luck.

DV90
Rookie

Post by DV90 » Tue May 19, 2020 12:58 pm

What Branch are you in, and have you deployed? If so, to where and what medal did you receive for it? As stated before, you've got a few years before the LEE is administered again, but the Chiefs Test is an annual test. The Chiefs test does not give you any "preference" as far as being a veteran, but if the Chief in that town likes veterans, it would certainly give you a leg up. I know in Monmouth County, being a veteran can help you in attending the Alternate Route once you've completed the Chiefs Test, and the G.I. Bill would pay for the academy training.

LeBronLL
Rookie

Post by LeBronLL » Wed May 20, 2020 2:01 am

cop91 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:20 am
The last LEE exam took place last winter (2019). You will have to wait another 3 more years until you can take this exam again.

With that being said, you could apply to a "Chiefs" town where you would simply just turn in your resume / application. A good place to start would be down the shores for the summer. Good luck.
I understand, that checks with what I've read up on. I just didn't want to actually believe that applicant pools only open up every three years. Thank you for the feedback. Is there a listing of chiefs towns?
Last edited by LeBronLL on Wed May 20, 2020 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

LeBronLL
Rookie

Post by LeBronLL » Wed May 20, 2020 2:03 am

DV90 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:58 pm
What Branch are you in, and have you deployed? If so, to where and what medal did you receive for it? As stated before, you've got a few years before the LEE is administered again, but the Chiefs Test is an annual test. The Chiefs test does not give you any "preference" as far as being a veteran, but if the Chief in that town likes veterans, it would certainly give you a leg up. I know in Monmouth County, being a veteran can help you in attending the Alternate Route once you've completed the Chiefs Test, and the G.I. Bill would pay for the academy training.
I'm in the Air Force, and spent half my career overseas and downrange from flying. I'll have to learn more about the Chiefs tests, and what areas they're accepted in. Thank you for the feedback.

MerpNJ555
Walking Post

Post by MerpNJ555 » Wed May 20, 2020 7:51 am

The civil service test (LEE) gives a huge preference to veterans (a veteran with a minimum passing score is higher on the list than a non veteran with a 99.99) and three years from now is not THAT long of a time given you still have 20 months to go in the military. Getting a job in this state isn’t easy and it sometimes takes people 5-10 years of taking various tests before finally getting on somewhere or not at all.
While your waiting for the next LEE you can take various chiefs tests and the Monmouth county chiefs test. Monmouth county hosts theirs once a year and it’s used by most of the municipal departments in the county. Some random chiefs test postings get announced in the job announcement section of this forum and there’s also policeapp.com. Chiefs towns don’t really give a built in preference to veterans but I’m sure they would prefer a veteran with a bachelors degree over someone with just a bachelors degree. There’s also the state police who announce a new hiring cycle every two years or so and they also give a veterans preference.

MerpNJ555
Walking Post

Post by MerpNJ555 » Wed May 20, 2020 7:53 am

Also in the mean time, I’d do some research on what town you’d want to work for. Look up nearby civil service towns and maybe consider moving there. 99% of municipal departments that pull from the LEE require you to live in the town to get hired.

DV90
Rookie

Post by DV90 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:37 am

LeBronLL wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:03 am
DV90 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:58 pm
I'm in the Air Force, and spent half my career overseas and downrange from flying. I'll have to learn more about the Chiefs tests, and what areas they're accepted in. Thank you for the feedback.
Alright, so I did the math, your EAS will be around January 2022, the next announcement for the LEE (Civil Service) will be around July 2022, administered around November 2022, and the results will be out around March 2023. With this time frame in mind, you are on a perfect course to take the LEE basically right as you are getting out. If I were in your shoes, I would focus on the LEE, but not ignore the Chiefs Test. The second you EAS, I would apply for Veterans Preference. You can do that through the DMVA of NJ. You need to at least have a GWOT-E, or a campaign medal in order to be considered for Vet Pref, and have at least a 10% service connected disability for the Disabled Vet Pref (visit the DAV on base while checking out). This will put you at the top of the list and come summer 2023, you should have plenty of offers. its not really all that far away considering you have basically 2 years left before you EAS.

If you need any help with any of this, feel free to reach out. I've been dealing with this for years, and its an elaborate maze.

Thadrow
Walking Post

Post by Thadrow » Wed May 20, 2020 11:51 pm

I think you guys are wrong. The certs in the mail say this list expires 5/2022. Which would mean they are probably going to take applications, give tests by end of next year.

ata52189
Walking Post

Post by ata52189 » Wed May 20, 2020 11:55 pm

Thadrow wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:51 pm
I think you guys are wrong. The certs in the mail say this list expires 5/2022. Which would mean they are probably going to take applications, give tests by end of next year.
This must be your first test