Sheriff’s department vs municipal

All general discussion related to law-enforcement topics
futurecop
Walking Post

Re: Sheriff’s department vs municipal

Post by futurecop » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:46 pm

Thanks Blueline and Giants is it just the paper work or what?

Giants12
Radio Car

Post by Giants12 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:59 pm

For me its 80% the amount of paperwork. Taking call after call and having 4 or 5 reports to do is not fun. Even worse is when you're about to leave and you get sent to a domestic and then you're stuck there for another few hours. My shift is from 4pm - 12pm. At least twice a week I don't leave until 5-6am. I would go to the sheriffs in a heartbeat.

futurecop
Walking Post

Post by futurecop » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:29 pm

What would you think of working in a small town ? 5,000- 30,000 people say? Because I’m assuming you’re in a large city. Would you be open to that or is it just sheriff for you

Giants12
Radio Car

Post by Giants12 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:04 pm

I’ve applied to small towns and hoping to get called. I don’t mind the big town or even being a little busy. But my dept. is so short staffed I get held once a week, and sometimes stay 5-6 hours past my shift even when I don’t get held. For me it’s really too much work and I hate the dept. I work for lol.

futurecop
Walking Post

Post by futurecop » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:34 pm

It’s crazy to even hear about a department being short staffed since so many wanna be cops. Do you know how to do an intergovernmental transfer to go to sheriffs? How’s that actually work ?

Giants12
Radio Car

Post by Giants12 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:05 am

I don’t know how it works. I just show up to departments including sheriff departments with my cover letter and resume. If I get a chance to talk to them I let them know I did time in corrections prior. I just put myself out there and hope for the best man.

BlueLine
Walking Post
Assignment: Patrol

Post by BlueLine » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:11 am

futurecop wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:34 pm
It’s crazy to even hear about a department being short staffed since so many wanna be cops. Do you know how to do an intergovernmental transfer to go to sheriffs? How’s that actually work ?
You’ll be hard pressed to find a department in the country that isn’t under staffed right now. It’s cyclical and ties in with the economy and the Ferguson effect.

Giants12
Radio Car

Post by Giants12 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:20 pm

Quick question regarding a transfer to sheriffs. So when I went to drop off my cover letter/ resume yesterday I had a supervisor come downstairs to meet me in the lobby. I had originally planned to just drop it off at the desk and leave but the sheriff at the front desk called the supervisor down to meet me which I thought was pretty nice. After telling this supervisor where I worked and that I wanted to leave my credentials incase they plan to hire investigators, he gave me his card before I left. Overall I was in and out in about 2 minutes but is this typically a good sign? Anyone with any experience in this please share lol. I understand this is spot where you need a hook up since its not off the civil service list but I wanted to give myself a chance. Thanks again guys.

Avaric3
Radio Car

Post by Avaric3 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:17 pm

You would no longer have civil service protection and also wouldn’t ever be able to get promoted beyond investigator since all other job titles are civil service. You’re also hired at will of the current sheriff so you can get canned if a new sheriff comes and feels like hiring his next of kin or something of the sort

Giants12
Radio Car

Post by Giants12 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:43 pm

Thank you for the response. I know there is alot of risk that comes with that position. I was just wondering how often they hire for that spot? And if that looked like a decent sign that I would be a potential candidate.