Passaic NJ hiring police officers?

Discussions between Police Officers
Thunder
Rookie

Re: Passaic NJ hiring police officers?

Post by Thunder » Sat May 16, 2020 7:59 pm

This is pretty basic civil service rules. The address you provide once you submit your civil service test application sticks with you as your primary residence. Sure, you can change it, but as Avaric pointed it out you screwed yourself out of opportunities. You can go the route and not tell them you changed your address, but everything will come to a head if you even get certified and make it to the background investigation.

The only out of county certs I received were Cape May County Corrections, Salem County Corrections & Camden County Corrections. If you move but stay in the county were you previously resided then you are eligible for County positions. Post hire rules and regulations are completely up to the agency. There are in the past Police Departments that have exhausted their town/city lists then went to a county list and sometimes a statewide list, but that is rare.

Thunder
Rookie

Post by Thunder » Sat May 16, 2020 8:14 pm

This is from Dr. Paprota, former Chief of Lacey Police & CCS Test Prep owner, very very very well versed on civil service rules.

As the civil service LEE cycle approaches in 2019, questions will likely begin to be asked regarding the topic of residency preference under the New Jersey Civil Service Commission.

The below information focuses on local municipal residency issues under the civil service system.

The New Jersey Civil Service Commission (NJCSC) will be announcing the next Law Enforcement Examination (LEE) through their website in 2019. The announcement will establish an online application process available for those who aspire to become a municipal police officer, county police officer, sheriff’s officer, county correction officer, or any one of five other titled law enforcement positions. For those who intend to register for the upcoming LEE exam, there are some common yet critical errors in filing the application that may have long-lasting implications if not handled properly prior to and after the closing date of the exam announcement. Residency is one of the most critical.

Residency preference most often starts at the local level (municipality), then county level, then to the statewide pool. In rare circumstances, some jurisdictions choose not to provide a local preference and instead draw from a county or state list. Likewise, a few departments have settled legal challenges that have resulted in drawing from a pool that includes the neighboring city. These are all important considerations for candidates when choosing a suitable (civil service) location to reside and compete for a civil service police officer position.

In the State of New Jersey, most municipalities regulated by the NJCSC (civil service) have residency preferences for hiring police officers. New Jersey state law, the NJCSC administrative code (rules), and local ordinances establish residency restrictions that often leave some very deserving and qualified candidates out of the running for the limited number of municipal police officer positions available. The laws and associated rules currently state, “applicants must meet the residency requirements of the appointing jurisdiction as of the closing date for applications and may be required to maintain continuous residency in that jurisdiction up to and including the date of appointment” [emphasis added]. This restriction often catches many prospective candidates by surprise and effectively leaves them ineligible for a municipal police officer position (due to residency issues). Based on the rule, the residence listed by the candidate on the application is the jurisdiction in which the candidate is eligible for consideration for appointment as a municipal police officer. If the candidate moves to another jurisdiction after the closing date of the LEE application, he or she is rendered ineligible for appointment in both jurisdictions based on the aforementioned rule.

The key consideration with the residency preference laws and rules is the “closing date” of the examination. For the 2019 cycle, residency in the candidate’s jurisdiction of choice must be established by that very specific "closing date," and the specific address of that residence must be listed on the application. The municipal jurisdiction listed with the NJCSC as of the closing date of the announcement will determine the candidate’s "municipal" eligibility until the LEE testing cycle comes around again in another three years. This is one of the many unfortunate errors I have seen law enforcement candidates make when seeking appointment to a NJCSC regulated municipal police department. The worst and very common mistake occurs when a candidate applies for the test, takes the test, receives an exceptional score, then, on the advice of a friend in law enforcement, moves into a municipal jurisdiction that is expected to hire. Those candidates come to find they have effectively eliminated themselves from consideration in both the jurisdiction they moved away from and the jurisdiction to which they have moved. Residency preferences can be a great advantage or an unfortunate disqualifier.
This topic is made more complicated by the fact that local jurisdictions can pass an ordinance or resolution establishing residency requirements that are more specific than the state laws and regulations. For instance, such local laws commonly require "continuous" residency from the time of the closing date of the exam announcement to the time of appointment as an officer. Since the scores are generally valid for three years, some candidates move out of a municipality, then back into that same municipality, which could impact their eligibility if the local municipality has the local ordinance requiring that continuous residency be maintained.

The New Jersey Administrative Code (N.J.A.C. 4A) requires that each civil service municipality file their local residency preference ordinance or resolution with the NJCSC on an annual basis.
If a candidate is considering moving into a civil service jurisdiction prior to the "closing date" for the upcoming LEE application, it is advisable that the candidate research the specific residency ordinance or resolution for that jurisdiction to identify the specific residency requirements. Some jurisdictions have time periods (e.g., 1 year) prior to the application in which continuous residency must have already been established. The key factor is ensuring that proper and steady residency is established before the 2019 closing date for applications and that the chosen residency is properly on record with the NJCSC before the closing date. DO NOT STRATEGICALLY CHANGE RESIDENCY WITHOUT FIRST DOING YOUR RESEARCH.

futurecop
Radio Car

Post by futurecop » Fri May 22, 2020 3:18 am

Clifton certs like crazy. For the Sheriffs you need a 97 or higher. I’m just not sure what’s currently going on with the Passaic county police academy. I don’t know if you heard anything

evodopeboy
Walking Post

Post by evodopeboy » Fri May 22, 2020 1:51 pm

I haven’t heard anything, I tired googling some information nothing. I have a 89% state wide, its not great nor bad. However am currently in phase 4 with state corrections, just waiting to get certified from municipal agency for police officer.

futurecop
Radio Car

Post by futurecop » Fri May 22, 2020 4:51 pm

are you gonna take corrections?

evodopeboy
Walking Post

Post by evodopeboy » Fri May 22, 2020 4:56 pm

You never know what might happen, I’ll take it plus work like a overnight job for the time being, to compensate the offsets. Am leaving a 90,000 job for a career change.

evodopeboy
Walking Post

Post by evodopeboy » Fri May 29, 2020 11:19 am

Does anyone have any update in regards to Passaic Police department?

jaquezc2
Rookie

Post by jaquezc2 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:06 pm

Hello everyone!

I scored a 95 in my LEE exam, non-vet, passaic residency. Has anyone heard anything from Passaic PD or any where else ? I have yet to heard anything from any Department. Also, if anyone lives around the area and wants to workout or go for runs, feel free to message me!

evodopeboy
Walking Post

Post by evodopeboy » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:25 am

Nothing yet,
Am in the same boat. No certification. I scored a 89.4

futurecop
Radio Car

Post by futurecop » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:25 pm

I’ve heard nothing yet. Paterson is the only one I know of that sent out letters. Do U guys even know what’s going on with the Passaic county police academy? I think that’s a major question