Civil Service Exemption Bill

Discussions between Police Officers
Nyjetsfan99
Rookie

Civil Service Exemption Bill

Post by Nyjetsfan99 »

Hello,

I have a question about S-3220. I know the bill passed that will exempt bcpo cops from the civil service exam. Does anyone know when this will take effect? Does this mean that I could leave a chiefs town and be a cop in a place like jersey city or Newark without waiting for the next test to come out? Anyone have insight as to how this will work?
Rookie

Re: Civil Service Exemption Bill

Post by 138830 »

A quick google resulted in this webpage - does this help? Thoughts?

https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2020/Bill ... 220_I1.HTM
GnarKill67
Administrator
Assignment: Patrol

Post by GnarKill67 »

I have insight on this. If anyone needs any further in-depth explanation about everything, feel free to PM me. But generally, the bill is supposed to take effect in August and agencies can hire in anticipation starting in June.

I know of a couple of agencies who I will absolutely not name on these forums or in PM, who have already spoken to potential candidates already.
Rookie

Post by 138830 »

Updated link from 2/2021 - https://www.nj.gov/governor/news/news/5 ... /S3220.pdf

Sounds like you have to already be certified in NJ as a police officer/completed a police academy for this bill to apply to you and skip the civil service/written exam a department offers?
GnarKill67
Administrator
Assignment: Patrol

Post by GnarKill67 »

Bumping this to the top. Once this bill goes into effect and the civil service released full clarification, an FAQ will be added for convenience. To avoid any and all confusion. I hope whom ever will use this bill to your advantage has their resume ready because there will be a mass exodus from quite a few agencies around the state. Good luck to everyone who is actively preparing.
Nyjetsfan99
Rookie

Post by Nyjetsfan99 »

The CSC’s refusal to release any guidelines is upsetting. They are directing people to the PTC and avoiding questions. They are actively trying to not pass any administrative policies in order allow the implementation of this bill. Last month, this topic was on their meeting’s agenda. That meeting was cancelled. This month there is nothing pertaining to the bill on the agenda. Departments are refusing to hire people until the CSC releases some kind of guidance, and that will never happen.