Page 1 of 1
Outer vest question
Posted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:04 pm
What’s up guys ,
Anyone wear the outer vests with all the attachments on it? If so how do you like it compared to everything being on your belt?
pros /cons ?
Re: Outer vest question
Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:45 pm
There are a ton of pro's to having the weight bearing vest, but there are also con's.
I would say some pro's are;
1. Less weight on hips, and more weight on shoulders.
2. Able to remove vest while in station to help with sweating.
3. All items are available in front of you, don't have to reach around back, side, etc.
4. They have a ton of pockets, and you can really load them up.
I would say some con's are;
1. Since all items are on your vest they can be easily removed if someone really tries to take them off.
2. Harder to wear a winter jacket, basically defeats the purpose of the weight bearing vest.
3. If you get bodily fluids on your vest, you have to clean everything rather then just throwing your shirt in the wash.
4. They fade over time and look awful when faded.
5. Muscle memory, you have to retrain yourself to reach on your vest instead of belt when in a heavy stress situation.
Those are a few, im sure other people would have different opinions. My department does not allow the weight bearing vest, just the ugly uniform looking one. So I cannot speak from experience.