Any NJ State Troopers please PM me

Discussions between Police Officers
FutureLEO1
Rookie

Any NJ State Troopers please PM me

Post by FutureLEO1 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:56 pm

On your experience in the academy and your current job functions.

Is it worth to go from Municipal to State Police?

aceshigh1300
Radio Car

Re: Any NJ State Troopers please PM me

Post by aceshigh1300 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:59 pm

Know a couple of Troopers who made the move to municipal. Tough sell to go from a municipal police officer to a Trooper. To the best of my knowledge they won't give you a bump in salary due to being a police officer, you have to attend the full academy and you're more than likely looking at 5 years on the road (there are exceptions to this, but I wouldn't count on it). Plus you lost any seniority you had where you were. Depending where you are in the state your salary won't necessarily be better with SP.

For my money, if I were a municipal cop and was looking to go investigative, I'd go to a Prosecutor's Office. Three quick courses at the academy and you're off to the races.

FutureLEO1
Rookie

Post by FutureLEO1 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:16 pm

aceshigh1300 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:59 pm
Know a couple of Troopers who made the move to municipal. Tough sell to go from a municipal police officer to a Trooper. To the best of my knowledge they won't give you a bump in salary due to being a police officer, you have to attend the full academy and you're more than likely looking at 5 years on the road (there are exceptions to this, but I wouldn't count on it). Plus you lost any seniority you had where you were. Depending where you are in the state your salary won't necessarily be better with SP.

For my money, if I were a municipal cop and was looking to go investigative, I'd go to a Prosecutor's Office. Three quick courses at the academy and you're off to the races.
Thank you. So it would be a poor decision then to go from a municipal to SP?

aceshigh1300
Radio Car

Post by aceshigh1300 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:25 am

I mean that decision is going to be up to you. What's your top out? What are your chances for advancement? What are your future plans? Do you mind commuting? Do you currently get a takehome?

rwalk27
Walking Post

Post by rwalk27 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:32 pm

aceshigh1300 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:59 pm
thats my goal, to get into the prosecutors office. but nobody seems to have solid info with applying. most keep telling me its all political and who you may know. but im unsure if you have to have college credits, have X amount of time in the department, or even have to have some sort of investigative background. prosecutors office is definitely the route i want to go in my career

aceshigh1300
Radio Car

Post by aceshigh1300 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:08 am

If you aren't already a police officer, then a college degree (or political connection) would be a must at a Prosecutor's Office. With the degree you can come in as an Agent and if you show initiative they'll more than likely eventually send you to the academy. I've seen people come in as agents for a year and then move to Detective, some 2 or 3 years.

If you are a police officer already then it's just a matter of sending in your resume to the Prosecutor's Office. I rarely seem them make official postings for positions, it generally is submit the resume and if it fits or peaks their interest you'll hear from them.

rwalk27
Walking Post

Post by rwalk27 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:06 am

oh okay. im already an officer, but maybe i need to build my resume up first.