Civil Service vs Chiefs Test

Discussions between Police Officers
miguel001
Rookie

Civil Service vs Chiefs Test

Post by miguel001 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:01 pm

I wanted to create a forum on the following tests and ask the community a couple questions.

Is the Chiefs test a scam because they can hire anyone "they want" and not down the list like the civil service test? Do you feel its a scam or you need to "know someone" in the department?

I recently took the Civil Service Test and got a 89.5 in Toms River but I'm surrounded in a county filled with departments who take only chiefs test. Will I still have an opportunity in something or no?

Bergencounty
Walking Post

Re: Civil Service vs Chiefs Test

Post by Bergencounty » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:44 pm

Chief tests are a scam imo they just want to raise money for the department!

HardTruth
Walking Post
Assignment: Patrol

Post by HardTruth » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:51 pm

Some places follow a legit process, and others do not. Simply put, if you want to get hired, you take every test to increase your chances.

miguel001
Rookie

Post by miguel001 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:30 pm

True, it really sucks though knowing I basically took the test for nothing.
HardTruth wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:51 pm
Some places follow a legit process, and others do not. Simply put, if you want to get hired, you take every test to increase your chances.

HardTruth
Walking Post

Post by HardTruth » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:55 pm

miguel001 wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:30 pm
True, it really sucks though knowing I basically took the test for nothing.
HardTruth wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:51 pm
I wouldn’t exactly say for nothing. Years ago when I was trying to get on I took every test I could take to increase my chances. Was it pricey? Yes. Was it worth it? Yes.
The first test I took I scored a 70 something. Then the test I went through alternate route for a year later I scored an 88 (off of the old chiefs test that no one would score in the 90s for). It was the same test over and over again. At the minimum, it was practice .

BlueLine
Radio Car

Post by BlueLine » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:55 pm

Some chiefs towns do run a 100% fair competitive process. Toms River for example is a chiefs town but they run a very legitimate process.

I went by a rule of thumb, if a department is charging me $100+ to apply, that money is going towards academy costs for someone with a hook. Now, there are some exceptions but that’s just my take on it.

Boojie
Rookie

Post by Boojie » Thu May 07, 2020 6:10 pm

Does anyone know where I can find a list of chiefs towns and towns that would waiver sleo2 certs

ata52189
Walking Post

Post by ata52189 » Thu May 07, 2020 6:49 pm

As blueline said...Toms river for a chiefs town runs a fair and legitimate process! They take your written and PT scores and put them together and give you a grade! Then generate a list and from what I hear they follow the rule of 3 (as does civil service). You need a bachelors degree however for them!

Other towns it depends if you have a cert of class 2 cert for chief towns it does help however personally civil service is the fairest process around. You just need to do your research and get residency in a civil service town that hirers a lot

Jersey0311
Verified LEO

Post by Jersey0311 » Thu May 07, 2020 11:12 pm

Boojie wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 6:10 pm
Does anyone know where I can find a list of chiefs towns and towns that would waiver sleo2 certs
https://www.ccstest.com/nj-civil-servic ... ions-list/ - anyone not on that list is either a Chief's town or patrolled by NJSP.

If you check the Monmouth and Ocean County Chief's Association/Academy websites, they list municipalities that take results from their yearly Chief's exam and Alternate Route exams.

Don't forget that Alternate Route grads can only get hired by a non-civil service municipality unless they're on the list for a CS town.

Word on the street is that academies will start opening up next month to resume training. At least my boss at the academy asked us for availability so I hope that's the case.
Don't dial 911, dial 0311