Boots stripping and dyeing.

Discussions between Corrections Officers
British
Walking Post

Boots stripping and dyeing.

Post by British »

So we gotta strip the boots & shoes with shaving cream. So I am going to apply the shaving cream then brush it into the leather with a toothbrush. I found some posts where they do it under running water... I have to repeat this process till the leather turns grey and then apply the leather dye. Correct? What is the exact procedure? It is not on YouTube.

Would have it not been easier applying a thinner? Should I buy a heat gun for the polishing?

Also my boots have Gortex on the side. I think the major said we only have to do this at the toe cap area, or the whole shoe and boots have to be stripped and then spit shined only on the toe part?

Please be specific in your answers on all areas.

Thank you
BlueLine
Radio Car
Assignment: Patrol

Re: Boots stripping and dyeing.

Post by BlueLine »

British wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:01 pm So we gotta strip the boots & shoes with shaving cream. So I am going to apply the shaving cream then brush it into the leather with a toothbrush. I found some posts where they do it under running water... I have to repeat this process till the leather turns grey and then apply the leather dye. Correct? What is the exact procedure? It is not on YouTube.

Would have it not been easier applying a thinner? Should I buy a heat gun for the polishing?

Also my boots have Gortex on the side. I think the major said we only have to do this at the toe cap area, or the whole shoe and boots have to be stripped and then spit shined only on the toe part?

Please be specific in your answers on all areas.

Thank you
The first time where you strip and then begin to spit shine the boot takes awhile. I don't exactly remember how I did it, it's been a long time.

Do yourself a favor and borrow/purchase a heat gun, it makes the process so much easier. I shined the entire boot but the Major is only really looking at the toe.
kflores326
Walking Post

Post by kflores326 »

The class A shoes need to be the whole shoe and the boots just the toe area
Rookie2019908
Radio Car

Post by Rookie2019908 »

Good info. The paper says : no permanent creases , the dickies has a crease. The shirts don’t even look pressed. Question: should the cleaners take the crease out the dickies?
kflores326
Walking Post

Post by kflores326 »

No leave it in the dickies and make sure the shirts are pressed don’t add a permanent crease in the shirt but make sure it is pressed
kflores326
Walking Post

Post by kflores326 »

How is the academy working for you guys you get to go home on the weekends or staying all the way through ?
Rookie2019908
Radio Car

Post by Rookie2019908 »

Thank you I was so lost. We will stay 2 weeks and home a weekend
British
Walking Post

Post by British »

kflores326 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:49 pm The class A shoes need to be the whole shoe and the boots just the toe area
Guys, thank you for your help!
British
Walking Post

Post by British »

Rookie2019908 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:13 pm Thank you I was so lost. We will stay 2 weeks and home a weekend
When you gonna do your boots? I already ordered everything including the heat gun. I think Ill do the Zippos liquid method. And will use the heath gun for the spit shine.
British
Walking Post

Post by British »

kflores326 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:49 pm The class A shoes need to be the whole shoe and the boots just the toe area
Appreciate the info. Do you know about the snacks, drinks we can bring? Nobody said anything at orientation. I think I have a 1 gallon storage bag for the snacks and Ill leave my water/sport drinks in my trunk. Can I access the car on daily bases?