State Correctional Police Officer

Discussions between Corrections Officers
edge9999

State Correctional Police Officer

Post by edge9999 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:29 pm

The state's Senate and Assembly both passed bills to rename corrections officers in New Jersey while also clarifying their powers.

The Senate on Monday approved the measure 31-1, while the Assembly voted 67-0 in favor of the bill.

The bill directs the Civil Service Commission to rename the position of state corrections officers to state correctional police officers.

It also reestablishes the law enforcement powers already held by corrections officers, including their right to exercise full police powers and carry a firearm while performing their duties.

“Corrections officers put their lives on the line every day in our correctional facilities," said state Sen. Jeff Van Drew (D-1), one of the bill's sponsors. "These men and women are also expected to react if a crime is committed or an emergency occurs outside of the facility in which they work, and in fact corrections officers were among those who were deployed in response to the 9/11 terror attacks. They deserve the respect and dignity to not only be treated as officers, but also for their professional titles to reflect their responsibilities. This legislation will provide for that.”

Victor Bermudez, president and state delegate for PBA 231 in Cumberland County, said the bill's main purpose is to educate the public.

"People do not realize that we have police powers," Bermudez said of corrections officers.

Raymond Heck, state delegate for PBA 105 in Trenton, pointed out that corrections officers were called on to respond to 9/11, and to assist during the Super Bowl, Hurricane Sandy, the Pope's visit and more.

"It's important to push this so society clearly understands our role," Heck said.

Assemblyman Declan O'Scanlon (R-13), who co-sponsored the bill, said the move will "help eliminate confusion in the public eye and improve relationships among the law enforcement community."

“When these officers are called to protect the public during emergencies or natural disasters, it is imperative that other officers and the public respect their authority to maintain order and respond to crises," he said.

According to Heck, the bill is now at the governor's desk awaiting final approval.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/ ... 025460001/

Giants12
Radio Car

Re: State Correctional Police Officer

Post by Giants12 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:22 am

WHAT does this mean for us? A pay raise? An opportunity to learn title 39 to transfer to a Pd? I dont get it. Just more responsibility and same contract freeze. Good for NJDOC this accomplishes nothing

Giants12
Radio Car

Post by Giants12 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:23 am

That really is a shame. I’m still owed 5 uniform allowances. I’m not buying anything own my own dime. I can’t get to county fast enough

FLEO1895
Rookie
Assignment: Counter Terrorism

Post by FLEO1895 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:01 pm

You guys are all complaining, but I bet you wont hesitate to use your new title to get out of a ticket or to benefit you in any other way. You should be thankful, at least now the regular cops cant give u any crap when u say your on the job, theyre gonna have to acknowledge u as fellow LEOs whether they like it or not. I hope you at least get new badges, those cheap crossing guard badges gotta go. I was NJDOC once upon a time, I moved on, but I think the title change is a postitve thing. Stay Safe!

rwalk27
Walking Post

Post by rwalk27 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:08 am

FLEO1895 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:01 pm
You guys are all complaining, but I bet you wont hesitate to use your new title to get out of a ticket or to benefit you in any other way. You should be thankful, at least now the regular cops cant give u any crap when u say your on the job, theyre gonna have to acknowledge u as fellow LEOs whether they like it or not. I hope you at least get new badges, those cheap crossing guard badges gotta go. I was NJDOC once upon a time, I moved on, but I think the title change is a postitve thing. Stay Safe!
the badges have changed over the summer time unless those the ones you are talking about. also i havent came across not one cop who hasnt acknowledged us as law enforcment or gave me any crap and thats in & out of uniform.

Raven
Administrator
Assignment: Patrol

Post by Raven » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:14 am

In my experiences I've never once looked down on corrections guys & gals once. They have a tough job (sometimes even tougher than ours) and when it goes south on a MV stop you know they'd have your back. I hope the title change brings about positive changes to corrections to benefit our brothers and sisters in blue.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthew 5:9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.”

Owner of NJOfficer.com

FLEO1895
Rookie
Assignment: Counter Terrorism

Post by FLEO1895 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:21 am

I never had an issue w regular cops when I was NJDOC, but I know many that have. I guess it comes down to how you carry yourself, but we have to admit that some CO's become a product of their environment and end up looking, acting and sounding like thugs. These are the ones that make it difficult for other LEO's to see them as equals and make it bad for the rest. I still think the title change is great and serves a purpose. I wasn't aware that they got new badges over the summer, I wonder what the new ones look like. I know when I was on they were ugly as hell and looked fake.

rwalk27
Walking Post

Post by rwalk27 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:11 pm

Raven wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:14 am
In my experiences I've never once looked down on corrections guys & gals once. They have a tough job (sometimes even tougher than ours) and when it goes south on a MV stop you know they'd have your back. I hope the title change brings about positive changes to corrections to benefit our brothers and sisters in blue.
thanks brother, stay safe!

rwalk27
Walking Post

Post by rwalk27 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:15 pm

FLEO1895 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:21 am
I never had an issue w regular cops when I was NJDOC, but I know many that have. I guess it comes down to how you carry yourself, but we have to admit that some CO's become a product of their environment and end up looking, acting and sounding like thugs. These are the ones that make it difficult for other LEO's to see them as equals and make it bad for the rest. I still think the title change is great and serves a purpose. I wasn't aware that they got new badges over the summer, I wonder what the new ones look like. I know when I was on they were ugly as hell and looked fake.
youre absolutely right. ive seen some sh*t bags. hopefully this department shapes up and starts to move more in a positive direction. the morale is at an all time low.

Giants12
Radio Car

Post by Giants12 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:14 pm

Every department has shit bags. Yes doc has a lot because it’s the biggest department. Agreed The morale is at an all time low and for good reason. When for 4 years you don’t receive a uniform allowance , contract , or a raise of course it’s going to be low. The job is terrible and it just keeps getting worse. This new police title does absolutely nothing in my opinion.