Physical Requirements?

Discussions between Corrections Officers
NJScuba
Walking Post

Physical Requirements?

Post by NJScuba » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:02 pm

Are they going to require you do anything physical in particular during any of the phases? I want to make sure I'm ready for what they expect. I'm in good shape, but not triathlon ready.

NJScuba
Walking Post

Re: Physical Requirements?

Post by NJScuba » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:28 pm

Does this apply to correctional officers as well?

https://www.ccstest.com/new-jersey-pre- ... -required/

marcinpl92
Walking Post

Post by marcinpl92 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:45 pm

During the "phases", no. Once you pass medical/physical evals (phase 4), you have a PT orientation 2 weeks before academy. Its a light 20 minute workout just to give you a taste. You do situps, pushups, JJs for maybe 10 mins and run a mile at a slow pace. Pretty easy.

Then on the first friday of academy, you have your assessment. You have to do 24 pushups in a minute, 28 situps, 15inch vertical jump, 1.5 miles in 15:55, and a 300 meter dash in 70 seconds. If you played any highschool/college sport or are in OK shape, trust me you'll be fine. The first 2 weeks of PT will be a little bit of a shock but after that point you'll pretty much be used to it. With the PT, only drinking water while there, and the calorie strict diet they feed you, you'll be getting in good shape without even realizing it. I went in with like a 4 shape on a 1 to 10 completely unprepaired and I was fine. By the end of the 14 weeks, i went down 4 pants sizes, got a little toned and double my number of pushups per minute

NJScuba
Walking Post

Post by NJScuba » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:53 pm

Wow. So if someone gets all the way to the academy and can’t run the 1.5 mile in the required time, they get booted?? That’s rough on someone who may have had to leave a job or another situation for the academy.

marcinpl92
Walking Post

Post by marcinpl92 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:49 am

If you fail any part of the assessment on that first friday, you retake it 2 weeks later on the 3rd friday. If you fail again, you're out.

Also each day for the 14 weeks you have PT. If they decide you aren't participating enough, you can get a 0 for the day. Rack up 10 of those and you're out too. In that case though, you have you really piss them off or show them you don't give a f*ck. I dont recall anyone in my class getting more than like two 0's.

And yea man a lot of people sacrificed a lot and ended up getting booted. We started 250, graduated 146 i think.

NJScuba
Walking Post

Post by NJScuba » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:35 pm

Wow. No wonder they bring so many people in if that many don't make it.

How much are you expected to run daily? I used to run 5 miles, but that was only 3 times a week.

Also, do you live at the academy 24/7 for the 14 weeks?

marcinpl92
Walking Post

Post by marcinpl92 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:18 pm

PT is everday. It rotates. One day is running, the next day is calisthenics, and so on so forth.

If you can run 5 miles comfortably then trusttt me you'll be more than fine.

During the assessment on the first friday, they use your time from the 1.5 mile run to split you into running groups (A, B, and C). A is obviously for the very fit people and C is for the not so great runners. During the course of the academy, A group runs a lot more than C group. If you're up to push yourself then go for it but if I we're you, I wouldn't try to show them you're some kind of olympic athlete right off the bat because you'll get put in A group lol.

You live there mon-fri. You show up monday at 6am and you're dismissed friday roughly 4:30-5ish. The only time you're not there is while at the range which is 8 days. It's at Fort Dix and you commute there daily. My classmates that lived extremely far rented hotels in the area.

NJScuba
Walking Post

Post by NJScuba » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:55 pm

fortunately, fort dix is only about 20-30 minutes from where I live. As for doing 5 miles comfortably, that's a different story. I had to cut down because of shin splints, so it remains to be seen what the running portion is going to be like. I saw in a youtube video some NJDOC cadets saying they had like 8 mile runs some days.

I have what may be a dumb question: In the video I saw, all the guys had bald heads. Is that a requirement? I have long hair and a moustache and beard. I donate my hair to cancer groups, so I don't care about cutting it. And the moustache and beard can go for all I care. but do I need to shave my head BALD? Won't a crew or flat-top do?

marcinpl92
Walking Post

Post by marcinpl92 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:33 pm

Trust me. The running starts off really low level at first, maybe 1.5 to 2 miles for atleast the first few weeks. It gradually increases and I know A-group's runs towards the end are atleast 5.5-6 miles, not sure about 8. I was in C-group and I can assure you our most extreme run towards the very end was MAYBE 4.5 miles.

As far as the bald heads go, you are required to shave your face and head every morning. That part sucks. 30 guys sharing 3 mirrors all at once isn't fun. I had 2 classmates who would drink 3-4 bottles of water before bed and would shave when they got up to pee in the middle of the night. It was actually pretty smart.

IRDP
Walking Post

Post by IRDP » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:30 pm

marcinpl92 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:45 pm
During the "phases", no. Once you pass medical/physical evals (phase 4), you have a PT orientation 2 weeks before academy. Its a light 20 minute workout just to give you a taste. You do situps, pushups, JJs for maybe 10 mins and run a mile at a slow pace. Pretty easy.

Then on the first friday of academy, you have your assessment. You have to do 24 pushups in a minute, 28 situps, 15inch vertical jump, 1.5 miles in 15:55, and a 300 meter dash in 70 seconds. If you played any highschool/college sport or are in OK shape, trust me you'll be fine. The first 2 weeks of PT will be a little bit of a shock but after that point you'll pretty much be used to it. With the PT, only drinking water while there, and the calorie strict diet they feed you, you'll be getting in good shape without even realizing it. I went in with like a 4 shape on a 1 to 10 completely unprepaired and I was fine. By the end of the 14 weeks, i went down 4 pants sizes, got a little toned and double my number of pushups per minute
this is a great info. since they dont give no info nor details of what to expect