Is it worth it being a CO NJDOC Feedback please

Discussions between Corrections Officers
evodopeboy
Walking Post
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:21 pm

Is it worth it being a CO NJDOC Feedback please

Post by evodopeboy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:53 pm

Hello Law enforcement family. I am wondering, what are some of the opportunities/benefits that open up when you complete one or 2 years of service as a CO Or even holding a different position within the DOC. I am considering leaving my job for a brighter future with the DOC even if I am taken a 40% pay cut annually 80K to the 50K which I might take as CO for my first year. I need some true guidance, not disgruntled employees that try to steer people away. I currently completed phases 1&2 last week. I also have my LEE results for the police officer coming in 2-3 weeks. Please advise some honest and true insight in regards to this matter/ future career with NJ DOC


Thank you all for your insight and knowledge in this field.

J52545
Walking Post
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Is it worth it being a CO NJDOC Feedback please

Post by J52545 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:21 pm

I can answer i worked county corrections in NJ. I can say one thing the job isn't for everyone, so it is a risk for you to take it if your not sure if your going to like it. I can also say you know pretty much when you start working if your going to like it or not. There seems to be many more divisions and units then county jail though, which is a good thing.

BlueLine
Radio Car
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:06 pm
Assignment: Patrol

Re: Is it worth it being a CO NJDOC Feedback please

Post by BlueLine » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:08 pm

evodopeboy wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:53 pm
Hello Law enforcement family. I am wondering, what are some of the opportunities/benefits that open up when you complete one or 2 years of service as a CO Or even holding a different position within the DOC. I am considering leaving my job for a brighter future with the DOC even if I am taken a 40% pay cut annually 80K to the 50K which I might take as CO for my first year. I need some true guidance, not disgruntled employees that try to steer people away. I currently completed phases 1&2 last week. I also have my LEE results for the police officer coming in 2-3 weeks. Please advise some honest and true insight in regards to this matter/ future career with NJ DOC


Thank you all for your insight and knowledge in this field.
You're not going to find many happy state CO's my man.

evodopeboy
Walking Post
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:21 pm

Re: Is it worth it being a CO NJDOC Feedback please

Post by evodopeboy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:09 pm

Thank you for your reply. Now are you currently with the department corrections, if not why did you leave? If I may ask. On another note, I agree with you in regards if one will like the job within the first day. Secondly am waiting for my LEE 2019 results which I took in fall for police officer. I should receive results in late march. Being a correctional officer places me at an advantage to become a PO?
I honestly would like a career in law-enforcement
However would like to know if its rewarding, pros and cons of the job, honest feedback. As mentioned previously I’m taking a 50% pay cut because I believe that in the long run this is going to be more beneficial for me stability job stable income and a pension at the end. Am currently in a sales environment making 80-100K a year. However you don’t know what the future holds for you within the next five years. Things always change and I don’t want to be in a regretful position five years from now I’m currently 28 years old with a family one one child. I would like to take as much over time as possible, Even even if within the first year I’ll have to get a second job and do this for one year I’m OK with the sacrifice however again as a sacrifice gonna be worth it. I appreciate everyone’s guidance in regards to this matter.

evodopeboy
Walking Post
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:21 pm

Re: Is it worth it being a CO NJDOC Feedback please

Post by evodopeboy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:25 pm

BlueLine wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:08 pm
evodopeboy wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:53 pm
Hello Law enforcement family. I am wondering, what are some of the opportunities/benefits that open up when you complete one or 2 years of service as a CO Or even holding a different position within the DOC. I am considering leaving my job for a brighter future with the DOC even if I am taken a 40% pay cut annually 80K to the 50K which I might take as CO for my first year. I need some true guidance, not disgruntled employees that try to steer people away. I currently completed phases 1&2 last week. I also have my LEE results for the police officer coming in 2-3 weeks. Please advise some honest and true insight in regards to this matter/ future career with NJ DOC


Thank you all for your insight and knowledge in this field.
You're not going to find many happy state CO's my man.
Hey Blue,

Why so?

Jersey12
Radio Car
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:30 am

Re: Is it worth it being a CO NJDOC Feedback please

Post by Jersey12 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:10 am

Hey man this is a very easy job you will have bad days as well . But I know a lot of cos who actually like it and want to stay . Once you have time in and have a nice bid and you get to know your job well gets a lot easier , plus a little extra money coming this way not a whole lot but anything helps at this point . I don’t hate it but I am looking to go to the streets soon .

aceshigh1300
Radio Car
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:40 am

Re: Is it worth it being a CO NJDOC Feedback please

Post by aceshigh1300 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:00 am

The real question is do you want to be a police officer or a corrections officer? Years ago I would say take anything that comes your way, but now I know better. I know a lot of COs and it takes a certain kind of person to stick it out. NJDOC does have a lot of units, but end of the day regardless of assignment you are a CO (except for the SID guys).

So if you want to be a CO be a CO. Want to be a police officer? Be a police officer. Also, don't take a job because of stability and a pension. LE isn't a 9 to 5 and your day is done. It's paperwork, it's calls at all hours of the day and it's taking all the crap you dealt with during the day home with you. You'll see some horrific things and then go home for a birthday party. This part you won't know if you can handle unless you experience it, but it is definitely something that needs to be considered.

evodopeboy
Walking Post
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:21 pm

Re: Is it worth it being a CO NJDOC Feedback please

Post by evodopeboy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:23 am

Jersey12 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:10 am
Hey man this is a very easy job you will have bad days as well . But I know a lot of cos who actually like it and want to stay . Once you have time in and have a nice bid and you get to know your job well gets a lot easier , plus a little extra money coming this way not a whole lot but anything helps at this point . I don’t hate it but I am looking to go to the streets soon .
Hey Jersey,

Thanks for your insights. Now question you stated something is coming your way, is it true that there will be a salary increase? I heard there might be a jump after a year to 60,000? I currently completed phases 1&2 last week, However debating of joining, due to the sub-par salary. Thanks jersey.

Jersey12
Radio Car
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:30 am

Re: Is it worth it being a CO NJDOC Feedback please

Post by Jersey12 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:19 am

There’s no way NJDOC is getting a big raise like that is most likely 2% making it 8% in 4 years maxing out at around 93k and step 1 being somewhere around 44 45k

Jersey12
Radio Car
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:30 am

Re: Is it worth it being a CO NJDOC Feedback please

Post by Jersey12 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:21 am

And by the way you will have a police title and full police powers so you will be a police officer in the whole state of NJ, just minus the driving around with a ticket book.

Post Reply