Can’t run. Will interview be a waste?

Discussions between Corrections Officers
NJScuba
Walking Post

Can’t run. Will interview be a waste?

Post by NJScuba » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:50 pm

I used to run a lot. Unfortunately, it gave me shin splints that totally prevent me from running anything more than a short distance or for any length of time. Will my phase 1 interview just be a waste of time, or would they possibly discuss other positions with me?

IRDP
Walking Post

Re: Can’t run. Will interview be a waste?

Post by IRDP » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:11 pm

dang. running is a major thing in the academy but as long as you can run the minimum amount you should be good but if you feel that you wont be able then yes, it'll be a waste. cause they will cut you off

Bluefill
Rookie

Post by Bluefill » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:03 pm

You still have enough time. Start off small... Easy pace slightly faster than walking try that for a quarter mile. 3-4 times a week. Don’t worry about your time yet. Just get those legs stronger. After about 2 or 3 weeks up the distance and throw in very short timed sprints. Sprint on a separate day though you don’t want to overuse your legs.

In the military i ran up to 10 miles easily maybe 3 times a week. since transitioning into powerlifting these last few years I’ve gotten way bigger and haven’t touched an ounce of cardio. It was extremely hard for me to run being so heavy even for a quarter mile i felt like death i had the most intense lower back pumps and aching knees and calves. Now running is getting very easy and my time is great after about 3 months of practice.

IRDP
Walking Post

Post by IRDP » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:17 pm

the next class dont start until july, def have enough time to program your body

Kingparker16
Rookie

Post by Kingparker16 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:54 pm

Go to a running sneaker store like road runner sports or dicks sporting goods and get an gait analysis and buy a real running shoe for your foot type and running style

Njdoc0311
Rookie

Post by Njdoc0311 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:51 pm

This job might not be for you