Federal

Discussions between Corrections Officers
1stResponderhur
Rookie

Federal

Post by 1stResponderhur » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:47 pm

Ive been thinking about applying to FCI DIX or Fairton. Does anyone have insight about working at the Fed level? The differences between federal vs state (shifts, pay, benefits, etc)? Also, not entirely sure how this GS thing works... Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

Bluline12
Walking Post

Re: Federal

Post by Bluline12 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:48 pm

1stResponderhur wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:47 pm
Ive been thinking about applying to FCI DIX or Fairton. Does anyone have insight about working at the Fed level? The differences between federal vs state (shifts, pay, benefits, etc)? Also, not entirely sure how this GS thing works... Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanx
Kid in my academy worked there not worth it, $73,000 top pay and takes 18 years to get to top pay

1stResponderhur
Rookie

Post by 1stResponderhur » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:56 am

Thanks for the response. 18 years, really?!? That sounds crazy. Is that just at the GS-5 level? Is there upward mobility to GS-6 and up?

FEDLEO0811
Rookie

Post by FEDLEO0811 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:38 am

Let me help you make a better decision. Federal corrections is a great way to move on into even better law enforcement jobs within the federal government. Unlike state or local you’re not limited unless you miss the age cut off to apply or are just happy in corrections. Again federal corrections open up
Way more doors through the government because you are now in the system. Get in look around apply if you seek too. You wanna make great money and work m-f in law enforcement the federal is the way to go.

1stResponderhur
Rookie

Post by 1stResponderhur » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:22 pm

Appreciate the info! I did apply, and I am going through the hiring process. I am keeping other options open as well. I took the NJ Civil Service Exam and I did the NJDOC Phase 1 &2. However, I am going to give federal corrections a real shot. They are giving me a chance and I really do appreciate it. I am a Veteran (honorable discharge), I have bachelor's degree and I have worked as a SLEO2. Not to mention volunteered as a EMT/FF in my town. Despite all this I have not been hired full-time. Because I have put so much into having a Law Enforcement career, I am truly grateful for the opportunity they are giving me. Plus, I do like the ability to transfer to another job or location which is not easy for law enforcement unless you are federal. I do love New Jersey but I am getting a little tired of the taxes and the direction the state is going.

aceshigh1300
Radio Car

Post by aceshigh1300 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:44 am

I caution people not to just take any job in LE that they get offered. Every job is different and if you aren't happy with it that will be reflected in your work, attitude and general disposition. New Jersey is a tough state to get an LE job in, but I've seen a lot of people jump ship after getting the foot in the door and it reflects poorly on you. LE is a very small community and is generally high school 2.0. All that said, if you aren't willing to move around then you won't make a killing at BOP. I have a buddy who was a CO for a few years and then moved to another position within BOP (better salary scale and everyone at BOP gets law enforcement retirement). Use it to stop the clock and get into another agency once that becomes available as CO's from BOP worth their salt typically don't have issues moving on.