New Jersey police officer to Florida police officer

Any law enforcement jobs out of New Jersey.
Phoebe3
Walking Post

New Jersey police officer to Florida police officer

Post by Phoebe3 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:02 pm

Can anyone tell me what’s the steps taken??

thebeanstalk
Rookie

Re: New Jersey police officer to Florida police officer

Post by thebeanstalk » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:46 pm

Im actually looking to do the same. From what I have gathered already, you can apply for a LE competency test/waiver which is a 2 week course at state designated criminal justice centers (usually a community college or a technical school). The course consist of the testing of basic LE functions and skills, that upon completion exempts you from having to go through an academy. The civil service test in Florida last for 2 years just as in NJ.

cop91
Radio Car

Re: New Jersey police officer to Florida police officer

Post by cop91 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:54 am

thebeanstalk wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:46 pm
Im actually looking to do the same. From what I have gathered already, you can apply for a LE competency test/waiver which is a 2 week course at state designated criminal justice centers (usually a community college or a technical school). The course consist of the testing of basic LE functions and skills, that upon completion exempts you from having to go through an academy. The civil service test in Florida last for 2 years just as in NJ.
This is correct, Florida actually is a bit weird (not that we don't all know). Unlike NJ, where you apply for a department and they send you to an academy or you send yourself through alternative route. A majority of the time when you want to become a Florida P/O you first get a certificate and THEN you apply to positions. Most departments won't even consider your application unless you have a Florida Cert. With that being said, take into consideration not every department in Florida has a pension plan, most departments contribute to a 401k or similar plan. Florida also, an "At-Will" state so if you apply for a sheriff department and a new sheriff comes in that does not like you, you can be terminate for no reason.

Florida is def a place where a lot of people from NJ go, and I'll say it because they can't make it into a NJ department. Also, there isn't much of an age cut off for Florida so your partner may be a 70 y/o dude. :lol: