Entry-Level Testing in NJ and Beyond

Entry-Level Exam Preparation
CCSTestPrep

Entry-Level Testing in NJ and Beyond

Post by CCSTestPrep » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:06 pm

This section of the forum will focus on discussions related to the various entry-level law enforcement testing processes, prep, and hiring practices throughout NJ and around the United States when relevant. This includes the NJ civil service LEE, NJSACOP chief's exams, and the various independent vendors' exams being used by non-civil service departments around the state. I am happy to contribute to this board and to encourage others to join in, as it is being run by dedicated and active police officers.

Do not hesitate to ask questions. I will do my best to contribute to the board when I can.
Dr. David A. Paprota, Ed.D.
Chief of Police (Ret.)
CCS Test Prep®
www.ccstest.com

RUKicker98

Re: Entry-Level Testing in NJ and Beyond

Post by RUKicker98 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:33 pm

Do you have to take the civil service or chiefs exam before applying to the Academy?

JohnnyUtah
Assignment: Patrol

Post by JohnnyUtah » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:52 pm

Not 100% sure what your question is but when you say "apply to the academy" I assume you are referring to NJ's Alternate Route program. Each police academy in the state typically will host an exam (Chief's exam)once every year or two to fill prospective slots within their academy classes where you pay your way through. The alternate route program is very competitive as most, if not all the graduates tend to get hired quickly. The civil service exam is another potential avenue to take to try and get hired.
STAY HUMBLE.

Koolaidohyeaah
Assignment: Patrol

Post by Koolaidohyeaah » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:55 am

RUKicker98 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:33 pm
Do you have to take the civil service or chiefs exam before applying to the Academy?
To piggyback off Moderator JohnnyUtah and answer your question furthermore, you do not need to take the Civil Service Exam when applying to any police academy in New Jersey. The Civil Service Exam has nothing to do with New Jerseys Alternate Route Programs. They are both two separate entry-level ways to get into the Law Enforcement Career.

When applying to the academy just as moderator JohnnyUtah said, these academies offer an NJSACOP Chiefs Test as generally the first major step in the Alternate Route Process, if scoring high enough you would be moved on to the next phase which is a pass/fail physical assessment including;

24 Push Ups to be completed in 1 minute
28 Sit Ups to be completed in 1 minute
15 Inch Vertical Jump (2 Attempts)
15:55 to Complete a 1.5 Mile Run
300 Meter Sprint to be completed in Under 70.1 Seconds

All of these are Per the New Jersey Police Training Commission Guidelines as of 2017, and it is pass/fail. You either complete all the events or you will not move to the next phase of the process.

The next phase of the process is generally the Oral Interview, with either a Panel of Retired Chiefs from the New Jersey State Chiefs of Police Association or Academy Staff. Each of the 12 academies in New Jersey run the program one way or another but generally, they follow this method.

If you qualify for the top candidate positions then you will be advanced to the background portion of the selection process. Do not omit anything from your past, write down every arrest you have ever had and ever ticket you have ever had. A New Jersey MVC Abstract does not give you every ticket you have ever had, so don't be mistaken with that.

Upon completing the background process, hopefully you do pass, honesty goes a long way, trust me when I say that. You will be scheduled for a psychological evaluation.

If all is completed, and you have passed all phases you will be conditionally offered a position in the academies Alternate Route Program, stating that you are enrolled for a Basic Course for Police Officer.

CCSTestPrep

Post by CCSTestPrep » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:57 pm

Additional information on the how to enter a NJ Police Academy:

In 2018, there will be 12 separate Alternate Route Program (ARP) competitive processes for the limited number of academy slots offered in the separate county police academies. The most important thing to know about the ARP is that you are able to compete in any one of the processes regardless of what county you reside. It is MOST ADVISABLE to compete for a slot in each of the ARP programs for academies you believe you could reasonably attend if offered a slot. Many North Jersey residents have been successfully completing their basic police academy training through the ARP in Central and South Jersey academies. There tends to be less competition (less applicants) in the south overall and the test scores tend to be lower overall, as South Jersey candidates tend to have less experience with the "chief's tests" and are not as in-tuned to preparing for the exam. Some ARP candidates even get hired full-time while they are attending the academy as more and more departments are looking to take advantage of the ARP process.

Outside of the ARP, in order to attend a NJ Basic Police Academy as a full-time officer, you must be sworn in by a department as a regular officer and put through the academy by the department. The remainder of the academy, aside from the ARP recruits, are paid officers from both civil service and non-civil service departments. The Special Law Enforcement Officer (SLEO) training process is a completely different discussion.

Once you graduate from the academy, you have 3 years to get hired full-time under the ARP. There is an extremely high rate of ARP graduates getting full-time employment relatively quickly.
Chief of Police (Ret.)
CCS Test Prep®
www.ccstest.com

Hopeful2bacop
Walking Post

Post by Hopeful2bacop » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:38 pm

Do you believe registration for the next civil service exam will occur sometime this year in 2018 with results in 2019? Or do you think the civil service will extend its current list for another year like the last process?

CCSTestPrep

Post by CCSTestPrep » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:44 pm

That is the question that everyone wants answered. I spoke with the NJCSC this week and they indicated that no decision has been made yet. They stressed that they make every effort to stick to the two year time-frame, but (as we know with the 2010 to 2013 to 2016 cycles) its been 3 years in between tests recently. The current formal state contract they have with the vendor (PSI, aka EB Jacobs) calls for a test this year, but as in the past, they can extend that contract another year.

The only significant change is that EB Jacobs was recently bought out by California-based PSI Services, LLC who have their own way of doing things. I've tracked PSI around the country for over ten years and I can't imagine them not wanting to make some changes to the non-cognitive parts (Parts 2 & 3) of the LEE test. They are much more focused on Social Desirability measures and Validity Scales on their public safety exams. That could cause a possible delay in the test administration if they are going to propose changes to the otherwise agreed upon scoring solutions.

I have tracked the NJCSC constantly since 1990 and even when they say they are going to do something, it often changes within days. They make announcements at chief's conventions and liaisons relay information at monthly chief's meetings and the announcements rarely ever turn out to be correct. I am hoping they do what they did in April of 2016 and put out a formal flyer to all civil service PD's announcing when the applications will open. I hoping that was a new trend or professional business practice they adopted in 2016 and will continue in 2018. We shall see. Other than is PSI is going to make changes, there is absolutely no reason for a delay, since the NJCSC has a vendor under contract who completed the required, updated, and time-consuming job-task-analysis and validity study in 2015. There's no work for them to do other than simply running the exam administration. They already know they are using the new LEAB-II, since it is now fully validated and is being used successfully in other states as well.

In the ideal, the exam announcement will open July 1, 2018 and close August 31, 2018, with the testing being between Monday, October 15, 2018 through Saturday, December 15, 2018, and the results coming out in mid-March of 2019. I would say that is a 30% shot at this point, but I will keep everyone posted with whatever information I learn along the way.
Chief of Police (Ret.)
CCS Test Prep®
www.ccstest.com

CCSTestPrep

Post by CCSTestPrep » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:23 pm

Over the past week and this morning, I've spoken to different officials who are involved in the process. A lot of things are in flux due to the new administration taking over with the departure of Governor Christie and CSC Commissioner Robert Czech.

The new NJCSC administration will be MUCH MORE inclined to expedite processes. Unfortunately, the Christie administration worked consistently to undermine civil service right from the start, so everything slowed down to a snails pace. That is likely changing quickly to the benefit of officers on the job and entry-level candidates as well.

The latest update on the scheduling of the next LEE is as follows:

(1) No sites have been reserved yet by the NJCSC which is a huge part of facilitating a test cycle in a particular year. Normally, this process would have been well under way for a fall testing cycle, but with technology and new cooperative agreements the NJCSC has with the various sites (colleges), they can now facilitate that process just months before the start of testing. In the past, I was able to rely on the scheduling of sites by the NJCSC as a definitive indication of the testing cycle timelines. That is no longer the case, as they can now work to schedule sites efficiently in as late as June/July for an October/November/December testing cycle.

(2) Once the application period is open/completed, candidates will likely be provided the opportunity to choose their test date, location, and time from an online portal that will list availability. This is a huge improvement over the scheduling chaos of 2016, and it worked out phenomenal during the 2017 SCOR (NJDOC) cycle.

(3) At a minimum, the NJCSC seem committed to at least facilitating the announcement and application period this year. If so, they will work to facilitate the exam quickly thereafter. Since they now primarily use the colleges for test sites, they are able to schedule the test dates with ease and very little scheduling conflicts. When they exclusively used the high/middle schools, the NJCSC consistently had scheduling conflicts (not to mention marching band practice, etc., going on during the testing). The colleges always seem to have availability of space for testing.

I am a little more optimistic than a month ago that the NJCSC is going to work to facilitate the LEE cycle this year. I'll post an update once I learn more.
Chief of Police (Ret.)
CCS Test Prep®
www.ccstest.com

trainer401

Post by trainer401 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:30 am

CCSTestPrep wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:23 pm
Over the past week and this morning, I've spoken to different officials who are involved in the process. A lot of things are in flux due to the new administration taking over with the departure of Governor Christie and CSC Commissioner Robert Czech.

The new NJCSC administration will be MUCH MORE inclined to expedite processes. Unfortunately, the Christie administration worked consistently to undermine civil service right from the start, so everything slowed down to a snails pace. That is likely changing quickly to the benefit of officers on the job and entry-level candidates as well.

The latest update on the scheduling of the next LEE is as follows:

(1) No sites have been reserved yet by the NJCSC which is a huge part of facilitating a test cycle in a particular year. Normally, this process would have been well under way for a fall testing cycle, but with technology and new cooperative agreements the NJCSC has with the various sites (colleges), they can now facilitate that process just months before the start of testing. In the past, I was able to rely on the scheduling of sites by the NJCSC as a definitive indication of the testing cycle timelines. That is no longer the case, as they can now work to schedule sites efficiently in as late as June/July for an October/November/December testing cycle.

(2) Once the application period is open/completed, candidates will likely be provided the opportunity to choose their test date, location, and time from an online portal that will list availability. This is a huge improvement over the scheduling chaos of 2016, and it worked out phenomenal during the 2017 SCOR (NJDOC) cycle.

(3) At a minimum, the NJCSC seem committed to at least facilitating the announcement and application period this year. If so, they will work to facilitate the exam quickly thereafter. Since they now primarily use the colleges for test sites, they are able to schedule the test dates with ease and very little scheduling conflicts. When they exclusively used the high/middle schools, the NJCSC consistently had scheduling conflicts (not to mention marching band practice, etc., going on during the testing). The colleges always seem to have availability of space for testing.

I am a little more optimistic than a month ago that the NJCSC is going to work to facilitate the LEE cycle this year. I'll post an update once I learn more.
Hey CCS,

Been following your posts. Any update as of now first week of April? Ive heard usually around this time decisions are made. Have you heard anything or any update as to if the list will be extended or a new test will be issued this fall?
Thanks for the updates.

CCSTestPrep

Post by CCSTestPrep » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:01 am

As of this past week, there still was no commitment on testing this year. Most often, it is toward the end of April that more is known.. I was recently told that under the new system the NJCSC is using to reserve testing sites and coordinate candidates' testing dates, times, and locations, the LEE cycle could be accomplished with only three months lead time in planning. We may not know for sure this time until the announcement is set to be released and applications accepted.

Last LEE cycle (2016), the NJCSC actually released a one-page flyer in April to all police departments indicating that the announcement was coming on July 1, 2016. Ideally, they will do the same this cycle.
Chief of Police (Ret.)
CCS Test Prep®
www.ccstest.com