2018 Alternate Route Programs

Information regarding the Alternate Route Program in New Jersey
CCSTestPrep

2018 Alternate Route Programs

Post by CCSTestPrep » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:17 pm

Candidates will have at least 12 opportunities to compete for Alternate Route Program (ARP) academy slots in 2018 into 2019. It is expected that the following academies will test in 2018: Bergen County, Passaic County, Union County, Monmouth County, Essex County, Cape May County, Morris County, Camden County, Mercer County, Gloucester County, Ocean County and Atlantic County. The PTC highly regulates the Alternate Route Programs, so it is supposed to be a fair competition (regardless of county residency) around the state. Currently, candidates from North Jersey are slated to attend southern and central academies among the top candidates from the respective counties. For anyone very serious about a career in law enforcement should look at competing for a slot in an academy by taking the varied tests as they become available. Many non-civil service departments are only accepting applications from trained officers.

Next up is Bergen County. The announcement of mandatory orientations should be released soon. Last year they held orientation meetings in mid-February and tested in early March. According to last year's announcement, they only accepted the first 240 applications with only the top 40 going to the physical and then top 30 going to the interview phase. Bergen is extremely competitive and has a near 100% rate of graduates obtaining full-time employment.
Dr. David A. Paprota, Ed.D.
Chief of Police (Ret.)
CCS Test Prep®
www.ccstest.com

JohnnyUtah
Assignment: Patrol

Re: 2018 Alternate Route Programs

Post by JohnnyUtah » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:09 pm

If you can get in, Alternate Route is absolutely a great way to get hired. I've personally never heard of any graduate who was unable to get hired after graduation, though Im sure its happened, they would be the minority.
STAY HUMBLE.

NLamendola1995
Walking Post

Post by NLamendola1995 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:27 pm

Alternate route is extremely competitive. I’ve applied to multiple counties. You need a very high score to have a realistic chance at moving beyond the written and physical exam but it’s not impossible. Good luck to everyone.

Koolaidohyeaah

Post by Koolaidohyeaah » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:33 pm

I can attest to the Alternae route program. After having applied at 10 out of the 12 academies across the state that offer the alternate route program, my subsequent tries at Camden county Police Academy landed me a spot there. I graduated and have since got a job. The farther you go south in New Jersey the less competitive it is since Cape May Alternate Route doesn’t have 240 applicants like Bergen County does. Very competitive process but completely worth the shot. Don’t give up.

jrs495
Rookie

Post by jrs495 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:18 pm

I went alternate route as well. Best money and decision I have made thus far. If you truly want it, you’ll do whatever it takes.
Whatever..

CCSTestPrep

Post by CCSTestPrep » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:02 pm

I just scheduled FREE informational seminars regarding entry-level testing in NJ including the Alternate Route Programs. I scheduled them in the Bergen/Passaic area (2/3); Union/Essex Area (2/8); and Monmouth area (2/5) since those Alternate Route Programs will be announced sooner than most others.

I will add FREE informational seminars in areas like Morris County and Camden/Mercer/Gloucester counties later in the year. Each attendee gains insight into the various testing processes and tests being used and receives a free booklet of sample questions. While seating is available, the FREE seminars are open to all who take the time to register at http://www.ccstest.com/free-information ... e-testing/. It is important to note that my regular chief's test prep programs are NOT OPEN-ENROLLMENT and are very limited. I only accept highly committed and motivated candidates with some preference being given to those who take the time to attend a free seminar.
Chief of Police (Ret.)
CCS Test Prep®
www.ccstest.com

CCSTestPrep

FREE Testing Info Seminar - Camden Academy

Post by CCSTestPrep » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:08 am

I added a FREE 3-hour informational seminar for the Camden, Gloucester, and Burlington County area. On Sunday, March 18, 2018, I will be conducting a seminar to inform police candidates regarding the different types of tests being used, current selection processes, the resources available to candidates, and the alternate route programs in New Jersey. The seminar will run from 9:00 a.m. sharp to 12 Noon at the Camden County Police Academy.

Each attendee will receive a booklet of sample test questions and valuable information. The program is entirely FREE, but registration is REQUIRED. Registration must be completed at: http://wp.me/P3zjSD-1px.
Chief of Police (Ret.)
CCS Test Prep®
www.ccstest.com

CCSTestPrep

Post by CCSTestPrep » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:11 pm

For those who are committed to earning a spot in a full-time police academy through the Alternate Route Program, I highly recommend that you look into competing in the Camden (now), Cape May (now), Mercer (later this year), and the Atlantic County (late this fall) processes. The ARP processes are state regulated and cannot have a residency preference, so they are open to everyone equally. I have been monitoring the numbers and have found that there is no comparison between these four processes and the other 8 more competitive processes around the state. The test scores are much lower on average and far fewer candidates make application for these 4 programs. Cape May is the most desirable, as it is a "residential" program, so candidates who live far away have academy housing Monday through Friday during the academy. Outside of the Cape May process with residential housing, candidates from a distance who are successful in the other processes, generally look to temporarily rent a place with at least a couple other candidates during the academy. It is common for half the ARP recruits to be from outside the area of the academy.

The candidates in many of these areas do not prepare in any way for the exams, so serious candidates who put the work in before the exam can relatively easily secure a slot in the academy. The academy training certification is recognized equally throughout the state, so there is no real disadvantage in earning a cert from one of these academies.

As is evident in at least half of the hiring announcements, many departments are only looking for PTC trained candidates or those currently in the academy. The primary focus by these departments is the recruitment of ARP candidates. Many candidates are now receiving offers of employment while in the academy to begin upon graduation.
Chief of Police (Ret.)
CCS Test Prep®
www.ccstest.com

Jdlc4252

Post by Jdlc4252 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:15 am

Do a lot of candidates usually apply for Cape May’s AR program? I saw that there’s no limit for applications on the Police App website. Regardless, after a year of taking Chief’s tests around the state, it’s apparent to me that many candidates are either completely unprepared or simply not dedicated enough to be competitive in the process (because they’ll never score high).

CCSTestPrep

Post by CCSTestPrep » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:54 pm

The Cape May ARP is one of the best alternatives for North Jersey candidates, because it is a residential academy and accounts for housing during the training week. It is also generally the cheapest of the programs to attend. Not as many candidates take the Cape May exam and the top scores seem to be a little lower overall (at least prior to this year). We will see.

I don't find anywhere near the interest in Cape May as there is in the other programs even though I encourage my students to sign up for that particular exam. The Atlantic County ARP is similar (but they do limit the number of applicants). Only a handful of my students (several from North Jersey) took the last Atlantic County ARP and all earned slots. I have advocated for North Jersey candidates to take South Jersey exams, since it seems to be less competitive in the south.

I think a lot of candidates have the belief there is an implicit residency preference in each county, but that is the furthest from the truth for most of the alternate route programs. Of course, there are a couple of programs that tend to work out more for residents of the particular county, but the other 10 programs simply take who they find to be the best candidates regardless of where the candidate lives.

As far as candidates overall, I am truly shocked at the number of candidates who test 6, 8, even 10 times and achieve very substandard scores but do nothing to improve their scores. For instance, on the IOS 90 min exam, working hard at pencil to paper long form multiplication, division, subtraction, and addition, can improve many candidates' scores by several points, yet I find that many candidates retake the exam several times without developing their skills. Those who prepare and put the work in see their score go up significantly.
Chief of Police (Ret.)
CCS Test Prep®
www.ccstest.com