2018 Alternate Route Programs

Information regarding the Alternate Route Program in New Jersey
Jdlc4252

Re: 2018 Alternate Route Programs

Post by Jdlc4252 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:34 pm

Have there ever been cases where most of the candidates (or all the candidates)who earn a spot in a south NJ Academy happen to be from North Jersey?

As for the North Jersey Police academies, I’ve gone through the process for Stamler and it’s ultra competitive, similarly to what I hear about Essex. I know of candidates who scored fairly well in those exams and couldn’t get a spot.

Even regular Chief Tests in small North Jersey suburbs often have over 300 people applying for what is sometimes only one spot.

It’ll be interesting to see how competitive the process is for Cape May. I’m looking forward to it.

RJJersey
Radio Car

Post by RJJersey » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:42 pm

Jdlc4252 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:34 pm
Have there ever been cases where most of the candidates (or all the candidates)who earn a spot in a south NJ Academy happen to be from North Jersey?

As for the North Jersey Police academies, I’ve gone through the process for Stamler and it’s ultra competitive, similarly to what I hear about Essex. I know of candidates who scored fairly well in those exams and couldn’t get a spot.

Even regular Chief Tests in small North Jersey suburbs often have over 300 people applying for what is sometimes only one spot.

It’ll be interesting to see how competitive the process is for Cape May. I’m looking forward to it.
I assume there will be a lot of people signing up for it because you get to live their M-F and it will help out a lot for those from North NJ. I am glad they are doing the fitness first rather than written first because this will weed out of a lot of people right out off the bat.

CCSTestPrep

Post by CCSTestPrep » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:34 pm

Jdlc4252 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:34 pm

From what I can tell so far, Cape May is going to be very competitive this year.

The aspect of it being residential works to some candidates' advantage because of the housing, but also keeps others away who are not interested in being in a residential academy Monday thru Friday for nearly 5 months.

There are some scheduling conflicts developing between the different competitive processes, as some of the more competitive candidates who progress to later steps are going to be forced to choose between attending a step in one process while missing a step in another.

It looks like more candidates than ever will be taking the tests in the coming year(s). Monmouth County has more candidates than ever scheduled to take the upcoming exam. Most are first-time test-takers and will likely go on to start testing in other processes as well after the Monmouth exam.

I have had conversations with several different personnel who handle the Alternate Route Programs (ARP) for some of the South Jersey academies, and they have each expressed concern about local, in-county candidates not being able to score high enough to beat out North Jersey candidates for ARP slots. It is not uncommon for two-thirds of the slots in the south to go to candidates from northern counties. That tells me that the South Jersey Alternate Route Programs are very fair to all who compete.
Dr. David A. Paprota, Ed.D.
Chief of Police (Ret.)
CCS Test Prep®
www.ccstest.com

CCSTestPrep

Re: Camden - 2018 Alternate Route Programs

Post by CCSTestPrep » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:25 pm

The Camden County College Police Academy currently has the application period open for the Alternate Route Program (ARP) via PoliceApp.com. The academy generally admits 16 ARP candidates per class. I anticipate this particular cycle of candidates competing for a slot to be much smaller than the previous cycle of 160 applicants. It is more likely that this cycle will be more consistent with two cycles ago wherein approximately 84 candidates sat for the exam. This is a great opportunity for those who have not been successful in other processes.
I have found that many have a misconception about the Camden academy. It is a respected academy run through the County College in rural Blackwood, NJ near the Gloucester County border. Furthermore, I have found that they run a very fair process for all with no disadvantage to competitive candidates from elsewhere in the state.
This is an exceptional opportunity to earn an alternate route slot.
Dr. David A. Paprota, Ed.D.
Chief of Police (Ret.)
CCS Test Prep®
www.ccstest.com