Getting hired with no experience

Have a question for a police officer? Ask here.
Bluflag12
Walking Post

Getting hired with no experience

Post by Bluflag12 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:41 am

Hey guys, I’m 24 years old and currently a heavy equipment operator with plans to pursue law enforcement as a career. I have many friends and family in this field and recently have decided this is what I want to do with my life. Is it a bad thing that I don’t have any prior experience ? Do you think someone who has prior experience let’s say as a dispatcher or was in corrections has an advantage over me or more knowledge than someone with no experience getting hired off civil service list ? I’m sure you learn a lot while in the academy and in FTO, think I might be worrying more than I should

cop91
Radio Car

Re: Getting hired with no experience

Post by cop91 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:25 pm

Bluflag12 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:41 am
Hey guys, I’m 24 years old and currently a heavy equipment operator with plans to pursue law enforcement as a career. I have many friends and family in this field and recently have decided this is what I want to do with my life. Is it a bad thing that I don’t have any prior experience ? Do you think someone who has prior experience let’s say as a dispatcher or was in corrections has an advantage over me or more knowledge than someone with no experience getting hired off civil service list ? I’m sure you learn a lot while in the academy and in FTO, think I might be worrying more than I should
You are worrying about it more then you should. Trust me when I say this, you having NO experience will have an edge over someone who does. A lot of departments actually do not like to hire people from outside agencies because unfortunately people are "set in their ways". A lot of big departments like to groom officers to their standards, or the way they want them to be.

Obviously with that said, having experience doesn't necessarily mean you would not get hired, the more certs, experience etc. that you have will definitely be something to consider. Especially if it's a chiefs test town, they are looking to cut cost in every way possible. However, since you mentioned civil service most of those departments are looking for fresh officers.

I don't mean to dissuade you from becoming a police officer in 2019, but it does raise the question why? You will make WAY more money as a heavy equipment operator and you don't have to worry about IA (internal affairs) and losing your job because you make the right choice, but the public views it as wrong.

Bluflag12
Walking Post

Post by Bluflag12 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:48 pm

cop91 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:25 pm
Bluflag12 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:41 am
You are worrying about it more then you should. Trust me when I say this, you having NO experience will have an edge over someone who does. A lot of departments actually do not like to hire people from outside agencies because unfortunately people are "set in their ways". A lot of big departments like to groom officers to their standards, or the way they want them to be.

Obviously with that said, having experience doesn't necessarily mean you would not get hired, the more certs, experience etc. that you have will definitely be something to consider. Especially if it's a chiefs test town, they are looking to cut cost in every way possible. However, since you mentioned civil service most of those departments are looking for fresh officers.

I don't mean to dissuade you from becoming a police officer in 2019, but it does raise the question why? You will make WAY more money as a heavy equipment operator and you don't have to worry about IA (internal affairs) and losing your job because you make the right choice, but the public views it as wrong.
Thanks for your reply, very informative and trust me you’re not discouraging me I’ve had plenty of people ask me the same thing. To answer your question, yes you can make a lot of money in my field IF you’re able to get in the operators union. The union has garaunteed rates, pension, annuity, benefits and so on. I’ve been trying to get in the union but it’s very hard if you don’t have any connections. These private companies are cheap when it comes to pay except if you’re a foreman. They also don’t offer anything the union does as stated above except a 401k and lousy insurance. The biggest thing that steers me away is job security you can be dropped at any time, not so much with the union but the downside with the union is hoping you don’t get put on the “out of work” list which you’re left to wait to get a call for another job. Also, this type of work takes such a beating on your body and believe me I’m feeling it already and I’m still young. The constant bouncing around and getting up and down all day in machines. Not saying officers don’t take any abuse to their body but I feel they take more mental abuse such as stress, anxiety, etc. I’ve always wanted to follow in my dads foot steps being in law enforcement and being friends with many officers only makes me want to do it more. Before you ask why i didn’t take other steps to get my foot in the door when i was younger, i honestly wanted to explore other fields before i was 100% set on what i wanted to do because as you said before police are scrutinized for a lot of things in these times. I’m a people person and I’m the type that likes to see something different everyday. I understand that there are some repitative things officers are tasked with such as writing reports, sitting for periods of time (sometimes long), shooting radar, etc. I also love the brother hood aspect of it. Looking forward to your reply.

cop91
Radio Car

Post by cop91 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:07 pm

Just remember, that this job is NOT want Live PD or Cops represents. Yes, everyday you come in you will see something different, but there are a lot more days where you will not. Hopefully you can get picked up in a department where the Admin backs you up, but the unfortunate reality is most do not. Most are cops that have not been on the road in years, but will scrutinize you in every way. Especially if they say "we've always done it this way". I am glad you worked other careers and decided to become a P/O. I wish you nothing but the best, but just remember. The running / gunning is great at 24... when you're 54, (because you have to do 30 years to get 65%) will get old fast. Good luck.

Bluflag12
Walking Post

Post by Bluflag12 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:24 pm

cop91 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:07 pm
Just remember, that this job is NOT want Live PD or Cops represents. Yes, everyday you come in you will see something different, but there are a lot more days where you will not. Hopefully you can get picked up in a department where the Admin backs you up, but the unfortunate reality is most do not. Most are cops that have not been on the road in years, but will scrutinize you in every way. Especially if they say "we've always done it this way". I am glad you worked other careers and decided to become a P/O. I wish you nothing but the best, but just remember. The running / gunning is great at 24... when you're 54, (because you have to do 30 years to get 65%) will get old fast. Good luck.
Right I understand it’s not what is shown on live pd or cops I know there are a lot of politics that go on in departments. I’m glad i worked other careers as well, I’ve learned a lot of life lessons and skills that i can carry with me into this career. I appreciate your insight and quick responses

Ezg1967
Rookie

Post by Ezg1967 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:50 pm

Got hired by the NYPD no expierience. Had a career that lasted 5.5 years. Got promoted to detective in my 3rd year. Greatest time of my life. Came to NJ 19 years ago.